10

Kenma was sitting up in his hospital bed listening to music. Today, he was alone. Kuroo had to go back to work since he had only been able to take 4 days off. Kenma had no one to talk to, nothing to do. He felt lonely, and bored, and kind of wished he had someone to talk to.

He listened to his music and stared at the wall for a second before picking up his phone. The next song played. It was a song that reminded him of Kuroo. He wished he could be with Kuroo right now.

As he unlocked his phone, he mouthed some of the words and barely bobbed his head back and forth to the beat of the music. Listening to the song made him a bit emotional, especially since Kuroo wasn't there with him right now.

Kenma felt a few tears slip as he heard the last few lines of the song blasting through his AirPods:
"So one last time
I need to be the one who takes you home"

He quickly wiped away the few tears he felt slipping and paused the next song before it could play. He took his AirPods out of his ears and opened the case. And put them away and got up from bed as he did so. He stretched his arms, picking up his phone afterward.

He pressed the button by his bed, letting the nurse know he needed assistance. Knowing it would take a few minutes, he walked over to the bathroom to the right of his bed.

After using the bathroom, he washed and dried is hands. He then took the hair tie on his wrist and put his hair in a loose bun, as he usually did before he streamed. He washed his face and then exited the bathroom afterward.

The second he sat back down on his bed, the nurse walked in to assist him. "Hey, Kozume! How are you feeling today?" She smiled a bright, welcoming smile. "I'm feeling okay. Can you take me to the cafeteria?"

"Of course!" She motioned for him to get up and follow her. Of course, Kenma got up. He put on his slides sitting at the edge of the bed on the floor, and then walked over to her.

He followed her down the hallway and to the elevator, making their way to the cafeteria. It was mostly just an awkward silence between them, but he had to be monitored when he walked around the hospital.

When they finally made it to the hospital, it was his turn to be followed around. "Hey.. Um. Can you maybe just go save a table for me to eat at?" He turned to look at the Nurse following behind him like a lost puppy.

"Of course!" She then walked over to find an empty table for the both of them.

Kenma sighed. He went to go grab a cup of black coffee. Weirdly enough, he liked both black coffee and coffee with creamer, milk, and everything else you put in it.

After he grabbed a cup of coffee, he took a quick sip and then walked over to go grab himself a sandwich and some chips.

.
.
.

That night, Kenma laid in bed thinking about life, and mostly everything in general. He knew the next day would be his last in the hospital, but he didn't care anymore. He wished he could escape the reality he was in. He wished he could be somewhere else, living a better life. He knew things would get better, but when? How long did it take? How long did he have to sit there and suffer from things he couldn't help?

He couldn't escape his own thoughts. They were like an endless loop on repeat, constantly worrying about the same things that he knew would never happen. He knew he would be okay. He knew life would get better. He knew nothing would happen. But he wished he could stop making himself worry.

Although it was quite late, Kenma picked up his phone beside him and decided to send Kuroo a text since he was home that night.

(2:47 AM)

Kenma: kuroo are u awake?

Kuroo: Yeah. I cant sleep without you here with me. Is everything ok?

Kenma: ya. i cant sleep either. i just wanted to text u so u can keep me company.

Kuroo: Of course kenma. Do u wanna facetime and see if it helps?

Instead of sending a reply, Kenma immediately FaceTimed Kuroo. He missed Kuroo and knew Kuroo missed him too.

They had a short conversation before they ended the call. The call had just made them miss each other more and they knew they would have to learn to be alone sometimes.

Kenma sighed and placed his phone down beside him. It was already passed 3 now, and he would like to get some sleep before his last day in the hospital.