17: Selfish Furball, the Sorry Raisin

As the train ride was coming to an end, all their Bolts went off with a chorus of dings. It was a collective notice from the school—something they were all made to sign up for at the beginning of the year.

Yellow code. All students on campus, report to student hall.

"Intrusion. Assault on officer. No injuries reported. Signed Chief Deputy Alex." Mason read the message quietly next to Scotch. "Of course."

Of course. Scotch nodded. But of course, what? This might not have anythin' to do with the OB case.

A second message came just then saying there was a breech in the library where confidential information was kept. Several officers apprehended the intruder. Guns were fired from the intruder, but all bullets missed. To account for the bodies on campus, students were to report to the student hall immediately.

Then a third message said that all students who have received this message should check the school portal and report their whereabouts. Apparently, CPA was being extremely cautious. Which was understandable. What police academy would not be on yellow code if there was an intruder with guns?

"Will ya look at that," River breathed out and came over to where Scotch and Mason sat. "Blowin' up she is."

CPA student news had one post on the top.

'Female Human Got Away with It'

And underneath that was a blurry photo of someone running across the campus towards the back entrance. The aerial-type shot looked like whoever took it was on the roof at the time. The user who posted it was just student6594.

student8750: where's this?

ticklishpanther7: looks like a roof. is that back gates?

student8750: hey, OP, fignutting it up there?

student6594: she was carrying one of the Black Flats

The original poster had uploaded another photo. It was a closer view, not blurred, of a seemingly female Human standing at the gates with a horrified, worried expression. Her hair was short and black. Her cheekbones were gaunt as if she hadn't had much to eat in days. In her arms, she held a Black Flat to her chest. It was a case file with all the information about a case inside. The digital files had three colors—beige, purple, and black. Black was confidential.

More likes were coming in, rising up from just thirty to sixty and then one hundred in a matter of a few minutes. Comments were pouring in from more witnesses. Then a photo came up of the cadets' dorm.

Whoever had taken it, was still on the roof and it was that same student6594. It was a photo of a male Human standing outside. A video was uploaded shortly after. When he opened it, it was of that same male Human and what looked like Quinn arguing outside the cadet dorms.

"Shite!" Scotch hissed when the Human pulled out a gun and shot her. The video jerked as if the one filming it was startled. Quinn fell to the ground. He shot her two more times and ran from the scene. "Shite," Scotch said again and glanced up to find River's horrified face.

All their phones beeped the loudest they ever had just as the train pulled into Cataloogy Station. Scotch stumbled out of the train in a daze at the new red code alert. A Human had just killed a Halfhuman and he was still on the loose on campus.

"Should we even go back?" Ginger said in a quiet voice.

"I think we should, shite!" Scotch jumped as his phone buzzed. In-coming call. He immediately put it to his ear. "Ty, what's going on? Are you okay?"