29: Bullets Fly in Everscorch

About a half-hour later, Scotch was trying not to breathe. He was standing beside a bed, reaching out slowly. The citrine was right there. He just had to get his fingers around the chain. It was on the nightstand. The only problem was the sound. Chains rattled.

Scotch and Christoph had found Luka and Maya in a bed, after having done it, no doubt. Luka was sleeping without sound, and Maya was snoring like a vacuum, drooling. Christoph took position at the door, gun pointed upwards, but they had discussed shooting was a last resort. It would be two against too many.

That the couple hadn't woken up was a miracle. Sarvai had really good hearing. The ten beer bottles on the floor explained why they weren't waking up yet. Or they could just be in a deep sleep.

Careful. Just a little more. Scotch allowed himself a sliver of a breath and gently adjusted his weight on the floorboards.

His fingers grazed the chain and he gently picked it up. It rattled slightly. He sucked in his lips. No movement. Luka and Maya were fast asleep. Maya was no longer snoring like a vacuum and the silence was deafening. Too quiet and somehow too loud. Every sound was amplified.

Little more. Just a bit more. Scotch picked up the necklace in slow motion. So slow, that even he doubted he was making any progress. He stared at the necklace and then at Luka.

Necklace. Luka. Necklace. Luka.

Stay asleep, raisin, Scotch thought, stay asleep.

The citrine lifted from the table. It swung back and forth. Scotch reached his other hand out. His pawpads were sweating. His nose itched, but he couldn't scratch it.

Shite, shite, damn. He tried to forget the itch and concentrate on gently laying the necklace in his other paw so that it would accidently hit anything. Glancing down at his feet, he gingerly took a step back. He lowered the chain in his pawpad. A soft clink.

No stirring. The stupid couple was still asleep as they should be. Scotch closed his fingers around the necklace tight so that it wouldn't make a sound. He put that paw in his pocket and carefully stepped away from the bed. Then he gingerly made his way back through the maze of beer cans. The floor creaked. He stopped. Turned. Luka groaned, but didn't wake up.

Scotch didn't even allow himself a sigh of relief, too afraid. He crept to the door and lay his paw on the handle. Christoph had already snuck outside. Then, Maya groaned. Scotch's tail stiffened with nerves. Silence. He kept his back turned. A squeaky yawn poked his ears.

"Seve?" Maya whispered.

Shite. Scotch froze. He wouldn't dare move. Heart pounding, he barely breathed.

"Seve, what time is it?" she groaned. Scotch glanced her way as she reached for her Bolt. If she turned on the light, she would see him.

"Midnight," Scotch whispered, muffling his voice in his sleeve. He didn't know who Seve was and what he sounded like, but he hoped Maya was still in a groggy sleep.

To his relief, she lay back in bed. "Oh, okay," she whispered with a yawn, "Seve, did you hear from Saber? We're doing it in three days, not four."

"Yeah," Scotch whispered.

Doin' what in three days? He bit his lip. What are they plannin'?

"So, light the Irises on fire."

"Sure thing," Scotch answered and opened the door.

Irises? What's she talkin' 'bout? He wondered desperately raking his mind for anything about irises. It didn't make any sense. Was she fully awake and saying these things or actually asleep and making zero sense?