32: Forgotten Memories, Realized Truths

Just before they left the policeship, Scotch turned on his Bolt and put it on record. He hoped it would stay on and no one would notice. The high, vaulted ceiling with the clean white walls and tall glass windows, he had been here before during a field trip. 

He had dreamed of coming to work here to do what was right, just like his father. High Collection Police Station, Halfhuman Division. It was located on the cusp of Cataloogy City, but still within it.

Trinity didn't come that day. Scotch sighed in his cell when the guard brought them lunch, or what could barely pass as lunch—some bland white soup and some bland white bread with a side of purple potatoes that weren't even in-season sweet.

"Scotchie, ya think she'll come?" Mason asked from the opposite cell. He was next to River. On Scotch's left was Ginger and on his right was Christoph. The other cells around them were empty except for a grunting noise coming from down the way. Where there was little movement, the lights automatically went off.

"Hope so." Scotch sighed and turned off his Bolt. He didn't want to waste battery if she wasn't coming. He had the Bolt in pants. It was the best place to hide it, although he was sure his Bolt, if it were sentient, would think otherwise.

There wasn't much to do but wait and listen. Scotch leaned against the wall and looked over at Christoph who was pacing. Back and forth, fingers rubbing his chin, mouth moving as if formulating thoughts on his tongue. He glanced at Scotch and came to sit down by the bars.

"Anything from the stone?" he asked, resting his arm on his leg. "Think it'll do it again?"

They tried holding paw and hand with the stone, but not a peep. It just turned into another chance for them to hold paw and hand, although this time, Scotch didn't think much of it. He had not slept at all last night except for the twenty minutes of unsettled rest aboard the policeship with Alex grinning at him.

"I guess it just wants us to figure it out for ourselves," Christoph said and let go. 

Scotch put the stone away with a sigh. He just needed proof and then an escape plan or they would be too late. HC will be stormed, and they were so close to the building. 

A slanted window near the ceiling let in a haze of orange sunlight. From the looks of it, already evening was coming around. But it shouldn't be! The Second Ring was not that affected by portal magick, or was it? Did he just notice it now because he'd been in the Second Ring?

"Scotchie," River spoke up, "I hate bringin' it up. Ya think your Papa knew all about Trinity and AEM and maybe even Alex, but he told your Mama? And she knew?"

Scotch frowned. He didn't think his worrywart mother would send him off knowing Morgan Trinity was blue coding and Alex was a creep. "I don't think she knew. If you meet her, you'd know she'd be worried about a fly in your lunch and protect ya from it with a shoe."

Mason chuckled. "Mama Borrecki's somethin' else."

"So, if she didn't know, ya think he kept it from her? Lied to her?" River shuffled over to stand against the bars. "To protect his family?"

"Unknowingly sent ya off." Ginger hummed. "Yeah, sounds like a good male to me."

"He was everyone's hero." Scotch could remember the time his father was praised in the news over and over about this thief he caught, that rape he stopped, that female he saved from a horrendous kidnapper, and so many other heroic deeds. 

When he was little, Scotch always watched the news even though his mother didn't want him to see all the bad stuff. He just wanted to see his father being a hero. He didn't know all that was going on behind the scenes. And for how long?