Chapter 8: Eric

(K/B I know...its been forever and I can NOT be forgiven! But maybe you'll kind of forgive me if I post a BRAND NEW CHAPTER!)

Chapter 8

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

I slammed my fist on my alarm as hard as my sleepy body could.

Eric looked up at me from the floor, "How did you forget to turn that off?" He asked sleepily.

"I don't f*ckin know, man, just go back to sleep!" I yelled into my pillow. 

I never liked waking up. I'm not a morning person, that's for sure. Today, though, I don't have school because its a half day...I just don't go in on those and Eric is a drop out. Spring break starts tomorrow...well-today for me. 

Eric came home with me last night so he could drive me back down to the hospital around two o'clock this afternoon. The doctor said that he could've come home last night, but that's what he needed to talk to me about. 

*flashback to yesterday*

"Can I speak to you for a moment alone, Jake?" The doctor asked me. 

I agreed and started out of the room. 

When the door shut behind me the doctor didn't wait a moment before addressing the direct issue, "Your mother dying...it hurt him, Jake, it made him think that he will never be able to provide for you alone. Or maybe it ade him think that he will only make your life just as bad...either way, you need to help your dad out more. Find a job, helping with bills might just keep him in bed long enough to be able to physically get better. He will stay one night, just to make sure everything goes well."

I just listened and half mindedly nodded.

'What could he mean by all this crap? Dad resents me because of my mothers death? He doesn't want to kill me too? And am I really that expensive of a kid?!'

"I agree completely Doc" I said  so that he would back off the subject. 

He nodded when he finished speaking, as if to show me that I could walk away from him at that moment.

*coming back to present*

Eric was already back asleep by the time I found my feet and stood next to my bed, scavenging the floor for a shirt I hadn't worn more than twice already, I kept thinking about yesterday and how crazy it was. I hope Anna still wants to be friends with me.

She is so beautiful.

I could swim in those beautiful blue green eyes of hers!

I slapped myself. 'Stop Jake, if you go crazy over her now, you really are just going to scare her away.'

I walked into the bathroom to see what abonination is on my head today.

To my surprise it didnt look that bad. I didn't feel like restraghtening it so I made all my waves of my hair go the same way, put in some hairspray and started looking for my eyeliner.

"Sup bro" Eric walks in and starts peeing in front of me.

"Dude, do you mind?" I asked him, only half joking.

"What?!" 

"Nothing," I rolled my eyes, "what are your plans for today?"

"I don't know," he replied, zipping up his fly and shoving me over so that he could wash his hands.

I had already finished my eyeliner, otherwise he would've been dead.

walking out of the bathroom with Eric may sound a lot more awkward than it feels. We have been friends so long now, I can't really think of him as any less than a brother. 

I haven't really gotten into Eric's story have I? Well, I guess we can get to that while him and I are eating breakfast.

I set the table for three, knowing dad was coming down at any moment, but wait..."hospital" I whispered to myself as I put the plate back into the cupboard.  

I whipped up some scrambled eggs with cheese and started spooning it onto the plates.

'So now that I have some time, I'll explain my relationship with Eric a little better.'

So Eric and I went to school together, we were really young and he didn't really have any friends. One day I was walking home from school and I saw him sitting ouside his house crying. This was before my mom died.

*Flashback*

I went up to him and started patting his back.

"Get off of me! What the hell do you want?!" He yelled at me.

"I just wanted to make you feel better. My mom is sad a lot too and she likes it when I pat her back."

"Well, I'm not your mommy..." he said.

We just kind of sat there for a little while in silence...

That's how we became friends...a little weird, I know but the next few years...we really needed eachother...bad...with my mom dying and with him going into a foster home...well, it was just hard. Hard to think about, hard to talk about...hard in general. 

His parents hit him a lot...they burned him with cigarette butts and didn't feed him properly...they deserved to go to jail and Eric knew that more than anyone. He doesn't feel sorrow looking back on his parents and how they treated him, he just looks forward.

I always looked up to him for that.