02

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
New acquaintances
─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

June's POV:
"Oh no not you too." Karen groaned. "So what you're both leaving now?" Maya, another bunker asked. "You know I can't let him go alone, he'll die out there in 5 seconds." I laughed. "Come on you guys aren't really going are you? We need you guys." Tim frowned. "No you don't. You didn't need us at all actually, I baked while June cleaned.. that's literally all we did for 7 years while you guys went out." Joel shrugged and I nodded knowing he was right. "Yeah well.. alright fine just radio us when you get there and also don't die!" Rocko smiled. "That's it? Damn.. I thought you guys would try to convince us to stay more but alright." I said as I put my back pack on.

Everyone laughed for a bit and me and Joel made our way to the doors. "Okay but seriously radio us when you get there and just try to stay away from the monsters all right?" Tim said as he gave me a hug, we all hugged knowing that we may not come back alive. "Well.. this is it, don't forget about us alright?" Joel said. "Well don't forget about him, don't worry I'll be back." I smiled which made Joel look at me. "You're not gonna stay with me?" He asked. "Well no..? What am I supposed to do over there just watch you and Aimee kiss and cuddle?" I said while crossing my arms and everyone sighed. "No I just thought that you would.. you know stay!" Joel answered. "Yeah no thanks, I'd rather spend 7 more days up there with the monsters than be around her. Like I said, I'm only going to make sure you're safe then I'm outta there." I said which made Joel frown a little, maybe I was being a bit to harsh but he was the one that said Aimee was the only one who made him 'truly happy' when I was the one who spent all this time with him.

"What do you have against Aimee huh?" Joel asked as he crossed his arms too, mimicking my pose. What was I supposed to say? 'I've been in love with you since we were sophomores in high school and I'm jealous that Aimees the one you love when it should be me!' Yeah no thanks. "Nothing—can we just go!" I shouted which made Joel roll his eyes, he climbed up the ladder and yelled goodbye to everyone. I looked back towards all the bunkers and gave them a smile which they returned and then I left.

When I reached the top I saw Joel holding out a map, I got up and closed the latch on the door. "So.. you ready to face the unknown?" I said as I breathed in the fresh air. I never realized how much I missed the ground until I couldn't have it anymore. The air in the bunker was always musty and there was no natural sunlight coming in. I shivered as I felt the cold wind blow on my bare arms. "Let's do this m'lady." Joel said as he stuck his hand out for me to hold, I grabbed it and smiled back as we walked through the tall grass.

***

"Joel look." I said as I walked over to a purple flower. "Ah it's a flower, so unique—oh look it's another purple flower! Obviously there's more because we're in a damn flower field." Joel said as he hit the back of my head. "Gee Einstein Thanks! I didn't know where we were!" I said sarcastically. "Why are you being so grumpy? I could easily turn around and go back to the bunker and leave you here to fend for yourself." I said as we walked down a hill. "Yeah please do go, it'll make this trip a whole lot easier." Joel mumbled, it was quiet for a few minutes. "I'm hungry—"