30 - Percy

Annabeth was asleep and so were the twins. I was tired, too, but it's become instinct to stay awake when no one else is.

I ate a protein bar, paced in circles, sat on the couch, cuddled with Annabeth, fed the twins, changed their diapers. Anything to keep me somewhat busy.

Eventually, I heard a knock on the door. I expected it to be Frank or something, but no. I was faced with something much less pleasant when I opened the door.

Frederick Chase stood in our doorway, his hands in the front pockets of his khaki pants. Who the hell puts their hands in their front pockets when they're trying to be casual?

"Hello, Percy," he says. I already want to punch him in the face.

"What do you want?" I ask, forcing all my anger into my voice.

"I want to see my daughter. I heard she had the baby."

"Babies," I correct. "Twins."

He looks stunned, then mouths twins under his breath. It takes him a moment to gather his bearings. "May I come in?"

"I don't think that's a good idea," I say. "I don't want you anywhere near Annabeth or my children, understand?"

He groans and shifts his weight on his feet. "Look, son-"

"I'm not your son."

"Percy?" Annabeth's voice says behind me.

I turn to look at her. "Go back to sleep, Annabeth. I have this under control."

She looks past me, to her dad. "What is he doing here?"

I turn back to Fredrick. "That's what I want to know."

He sighs and looks over to Annabeth. "Hello, Annie."

"Don't call me that," she growls. "Not after what you did to me."

He sighs again (gods, how much air does this guy have in his lungs?) "Can I please just come in? For a a moment, at least?"

"No," I say immediately.

Annabeth thinks for a moment. "Let him in," she says. "Let's hear what he has to say."

"Are you sure?"

She nods.

I step out of the way and Fredrick slowly steps past me.

"Step out of line," I whisper as he walks past, "and I'll break your spine."

See? I can be poetic.

I shut the door and help Annabeth on to the couch. "Sit," she barks at her dad after I sit down next to her.

Skeptically, he sits down on the chair by the couch. "I wanted to apologize."

"Apologies don't fix anything," I state.

"Percy," Annabeth says quietly. I keep my mouth shut.

"What I did was wrong." Oh, now he realizes that? "I shouldn't have pushed you away like that. Not after what you've been through, and not after what you were going through at the time. It was irrational and selfish. I am sorry."

Annabeth looks down at the floor, her grip tight on my hand.

"There is something else I would like to talk to you about, though," he continues. "What you said before you left.

The man that fell into hell for me. How could I have forgotten?

Annabeth shifts in her seat. "There's not much to talk about."

"But there is," Fredrick says. "There always is with you guys. How did it happen? What happened?"

Annabeth began to tell the story, me cutting in occasionally when she got tired or overwhelmed. It was a hard tale for her to tell, and a hard one for me to recall. By the end, she had her head on my shoulder and she broke down into tears. Believe it or not, it's been a while since either of us have thought about it.

"I'm sorry," she said, wiping her tears.

I run my thumb across her cheek, catching them as well. "You don't have to be sorry. You did good. You did good..."

I continue to stroke her head, and after a moment of silence, Fredrick asks, "Does Sally know?"

I shake my head. I'd never really thought to tell her. "I always thought it would ruin her," I said. "But I'm going to tell her the next time I see her in person."

He nods, a single tear falling down his cheek. Maybe he was only 98% of an emotionless asshole.

Annabeth looks up at her dad. "I think maybe, one day, I'll be ready to forgive you," she says. "Just not today."

Fredrick nods. "I'll take what I can get."

He stands up and nods to us. "I wish you both well." Then he turns to leave. His hand is on the door when Annabeth pipes up.

"Dad?" She says.

He turns for a moment.

"Would you mind coming back for a visit on my next birthday?"

A shadow of a smile crosses his face. "I'd love that."

Annabeth nods to him and he opens the door and leaves. I pull Annabeth close and she presses her face into my chest, taking a deep breath.

"You were brave," I told her. "You did good."

She looks up at me. "I'm sorry you had to see him again. I know how you feel towards him."

A smile tugs at the corners of my lips. "Well, like you said, maybe I can forgive him one day."

She smiles. "I'd like that."

I bend down and press my lips to hers. She hasn't brushed her teeth yet, I can tell, but I don't care. I never have. I love her and she's even more perfect with all her imperfections. I wouldn't want her any other way.

Her lips are soft and trained as they move against mine. Gods, she's gotten so good at this. We never have to think about this when we do it anymore because I've kissed her so many times. It's imprinted into my mind like a brand from a hot poker, but the pain is so good. My hands snake around her waist, my hands sliding along her legs and hips. Her hands lift over my back, under my shirt, over my shoulder blades and scars. Her finger runs over where my Achilles spot used to be, and it still feels like cold fire whenever she touches me.

When we were younger, I didn't think she could get more beautiful and that if she did the world would explode. But every day after that, she was more beautiful than the last. I constantly fight the urge to kiss her, to touch her, to run my hands through her blond curls. She's everything I've ever wanted and more.

"I love you," I say against her lips. "God, I love you so much."

Her hand goes to the back of my neck, pushing me closer to her. "I love you more."

--------

Only one more chapter after this one! I'll make it count!