29 - Annabeth

The ride back was excruciating. Crying, screaming, sitting. Torture. Percy didn't look like he minded, but I know he did, and he didn't have to put his brave face on for me.

I half expected everybody to be waiting for us with Welcome Home banners when we got home. Thank the gods they weren't. We walked into a quiet, empty apartment. Though I loved being in New York again, it was good to be back.

I immediately plopped on the couch while Percy went to put the twins down. I laid on the couch, sprawled out, my limbs going in every direction. I finally felt relaxed. I almost fell asleep until Percy crawled on top of me.

"You look tired," he said.

"I am," I groan out, putting a hand on his arm.

He buried his face in my shoulder, taking a deep breath, inhaling my scent. I let out a sigh and relaxed against him, letting him pepper kisses across my shoulder and neck and collarbone.

"It's good to be home," he breathed into the bend of my shoulder. I didn't know if he meant here with me or here in the apartment. I didn't care. I was happy, too.

I turned my head and caught his mouth with mine. He cupped my neck and cradled my head, gently. It was a soft, slow kiss that nearly put me to sleep right there in his arms. He eventually let me go, and we both fell asleep right then and there.

--------

It was not a calm as I would have liked when everyone came by the next day to visit, but I didn't mind. I was with my family and my friends. I was safe. I was alive. There was nothing to be upset or uncomfortable about.

There were a lot of oohs and ahs and coos going around the circle of people as the twins laughed and giggled and grabbed and blubbered and raspberried. Eventually, Piper sighed.

"I think I have baby fever," she said.

"Oh hell to the no," Shel said. "No way."

Piper laughed and nudged her. "I don't mean now, obviously."

Shel grabbed her hand. "And I don't mean never."

Piper blushed a little bit. She seemed so much happier now that she had Shel. It made me happy, too.

"I don't really think I want children," Hazel said. "And I don't know how Frank feels about it, either."

"Trust me," I said, "you guys have plenty of time to think about it."

Everybody laughed and Sia hiccuped, before proceeding to throw up on Percy's shirt and begin to cry.

Percy tried to calm her down, but it was kind of hard considering how he didn't want to roll her in her own barf. Gross.

Piper eventually took her and Percy left the room to go change his shirt. Piper calmed her down surprisingly fast, but then Ranier started to cry.

"How do you manage?" Shel asked.

I take a deep breath. "I have absolutely no idea."

Everybody laughed. I stared down at his face and sang a song that never failed to calm him down for some reason.

When somebody loved me, everything was beautiful
Every hour we spent together lives within my heart
And when she was sad, I was there to dry her tears
And when she was happy, so was I
When she loved me

His crying turned into hiccups, which turned into laughter. Piper's jaw dropped. "Wow."

"I know, right?" I laughed. "That seems to work every time."

"Where'd you learn that song?" Hazel asks.

"My dad used to sing it to my stepbrothers when they got upset." My chest aches at the mention of my father. He's going to miss his grandchildren's childhoods, maybe their adulthoods too. He made it pretty clear he never wanted to see them or me ever again. My heart still felt broken, like a fresh and clean break.

They must have seen the expression on my face because Piper leaned forward and put her hand on my knee. "Hey, it's okay. You still have us."

I closed my eyes, willing my tears back. What would I do without them?

"Thanks you guys," I said. "I really don't think I could have done this without you."

Just then, Percy came waltzing into the living room with two bottles in his hand. "Who's hungry?"

Piper seemed oddly excited to be feeding a baby. She really meant it when she said she had baby fever. She smiled down at Sia and cooed and teased. It was hillarious.

"You know," Shel whispers to me, "seeing her like that kinda gives me baby fever, too."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Trust me, I think you should wait."

She smirks. "And how long, o wise one?"

"10 years," I laugh.

She smooths the hairs down on Ranier's head and gives him a kiss on his soft spot. "Tell mommy to watch out kuz I just might steal you away while you're both sleeping."

"You wouldn't get past the door," I tease.

Hazel clears her throat. "I hate to ruin this, but Frank wants to abide by the rules that say that Mortals should only stay for an hour if they want to make it home alive."

Piper frowns. "Aww, but we were having such a good time."

Shel stands up and walks toward her. "We could have a better time if we leave now."

I cringe. "Ew, could you at least wait until you're outside?"

Piper laughs. "How do you think we all feel around you and Percy."

"Hey," Percy groans.

"It's kinda true," I say.

"You're supposed to be on my side!"

"And leave my girls up to dry? I don't think so."

He wraps an arm around my and pulls me close to kiss the top of my head. Then he gets up and takes Sia from Piper and she and Shel leave, holding hands and clumsily walking into each other. The dopey smiles on their faces reminded me of myself every time I was with Percy.

Hazel leaves shortly after them and Percy snuggles close to me. "How you feeling?"

I shrug. "A lot better, I guess. I'm not as tired as much anymore."

He nods, "That's good."

I put my head on his shoulder. "I love you, Seaweed Brain."

He lays his head on top of mine and laughs. "I love you too, Wise Girl."

--------

Hi! Quick favor! Completely optional!

I just want to know how many and what kind of people are reading this, so if you could type something like "here" or "me" in the comments right here ------------------》that would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Let me know what you think! Only a few more chapters to go!