Chapter Twenty One

Washington DC, USA

You held Bucky’s hand as he walked through the Shield headquarters. The security would have picked up both yours and Bucky’s facial recognition so the team would probably know that you were back home. Or close to home. Bucky stopped at an elevator. He hesitated to press the button. “Everything okay?” you asked him, squeezing his hand. 

“Yeah,” said Bucky, he stretched out his hand to press the button but didn’t. “I don’t, i don’t think I can,” 

You stroked his cheek, turning to look at him, “Hey that’s okay,” you said, “We can come back again, or never again,” Bucky smiled lightly, scrunching his nose which made you melt inside. He kissed you quickly, before you left the headquarters. A text from Nat popped up as you crossed the street, she’d seen you on the security and couldn’t wait for you to get back to the compound. 

You and Bucky walked silently through the streets. It wasn’t too busy so that Bucky felt uncomfortable and tense. It was a long walk to a street under a bridge. You had a slight feeling that it was the bridge that The Winter Soldier had attacked Nat, Sam and Steve on. But you didn’t want to say anything. 

“You know this place?” asked Bucky, turning to look at you. His hair fell perfectly around his face and the sunlight made his eyes sparkle. He sent you a small smile that brought you warmth and comfort. He was so pretty. 

“Not really,” you said, you waited for Bucky to say something else. Because you didn’t really know what he wanted with this place. 

He let go of your hand, and walked to look up at the bridge. You stood back for a few minutes before standing next to him. “I attacked Steve,” he said quietly, “I was sent to kill Steve, I almost killed my best friend,” you didn’t know what to say, or what to do. Bucky didn’t either. So you took his hand, and rested your head on his shoulder. “I still don’t understand how you can love me,” 

“I couldn’t stop loving you if I tried,” 

Bucky nodded, “I know I know,” he said, “I love you too, you know?” he turned to look at you, and you used your thumb to wipe away the tear that was pricking at his eye. “I know I say you shouldn’t love me, but thank you for loving me Y/N,” 

You smiled. “I love you Bucky,” 

Bucky took your hand, “Come on let’s get out of here,” he said, you walked back towards the Shield headquarters. “I have one more place to show you,” 

Brooklyn, New York

You arrived in Brooklyn later that afternoon. Bucky was taking you to an alleyway, “Steve got in fights here,” he said, chuckling. There was an old poster from the forties still on the wall. Bucky looked around, his eyes were spaced out. 

Steve was being hit again, he could sense it. He checked down each alleyway as he passed them. Looking to see Steve getting his ass kicked. The third alleyway he checked, and there he was being thrown into the corner. That scrawny idiot just couldn’t stay out of one fight. He pulled the guy back by the collar of his shirt, kicking him as he stood to protect Steve. “Hey, pick on someone your own size,” 

“Bucky?” you asked, he turned to look at you. “Buck? Are you gonna be okay?” 

“I had him on the ropes,” said Steve, wiping the blood from his nose. Bucky picked up the enlistment form that Steve had dropped. “How many times is this?” asked Bucky, “Oh you’re from paramus now? You know it’s illegal to lie on your enlistment form,” Steve shook his head. 

Bucky looked away, “Stark Expo, I took Steve the Stark Expo, with dates. And he disappeared off to join the army,” you nodded, sounded like typical Steve to be honest, “Ironic how I was drafted, forced to go. And the only thing Steve cared about was going, when he didn’t even have to.” 

Steve looked up at Bucky, wondering about his orders. “107th, Sergeant James Barnes,” he sighed, “Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow,” 

You watched Bucky look down at the floor, then looked around the alleyway. There were so many memories that Bucky didn’t have, yet he always went to the places that held the worst ones for him. “There’s one more place I have to take you before we go home,” said Bucky, taking your hand.

Bucky’s phone started ringing, and you walked towards the car. “Hey Steve,” said Bucky quietly, facing away from you, “Are you there already?” 

You turned to tell Bucky that you had a cab, “Great,” he said, before hanging up. You sat next to Bucky as he drove uptown towards the tower. He pulled up the mall, and you looked over at him questioningly. When he stopped the car, he gestured for you to follow him. You were too busy looking at shoes to see Steve. 

“Hey Y/n, come on,” said Bucky, you took one look at the last at the shoes, before following Bucky. He held your hand, and you couldn’t help but watched as he tried to hide the smile on his face. 

You looked at the shop ahead of you. It was where you had bought the Halloween costume from that you wore at the party with Bucky. That was so long ago. When your dad kicked you out the party for kissing Bucky, and now here you were. An engagement, a child, a new avengers facility, losing Bucky, getting him back, him regaining his memories and travelling round the world later and now you were back together again. 

Bucky walked inside, “Come on,” he smiled. 

He was definitely up to something.

Authors Note ❤️: bye i was gonna update this yesterday but fell asleep. Also episode 6 of fatws tho omg. I swear i cried through the whole thing.

I was also thinking of making a bucky simp gc cos i need friends who simp for bucky. So if u wanna be in it just like say or dm  me i guess. Idk ive never done this before.

Ty for reading <3