Fourteen

Wewake the next morning to cold air.

"Winteris coming swiftly upon us." Mika mumbles as we get to our feet.

Rizais curled up with Faladae, who continues to sleep. The older femaleseems to be ill, so we leave her be, but wake Faladae.

"Let'sgo for a hunt." Divan calls to them, pausing only to sniff at thenewcomer.

Heturns back to me, his eyes trusting. I nod to him and we all go out.You can smell the freezing cold coming in the wind; the freezing coldthat we all know so well.

Istretch by the entrance of the den, and then wag my tail at theothers. Mika tilts her head to the side, and glances away, towardwhere Riza had come.

"There'ssomething not right." She mutters to me as I pass by her to standat Divan's side.

Iturn to her in surprise, but she turns away as Faladae comes out andyawns. With a glance at Divan, I forget about what she says. His eyesare filled with love, and I can finally recognize it.

"Let'sgo." He smiles at me, and then to the others.

Wesing out our hunting melody before dashing away from our den andRiza.

Divanpulls away from the others, barking for them to go on with out us. Ifollow him, and we race for several moments before he pouncesplayfully on me. We roll in the yellowing grasses for severalmoments, barking at each other with playful joy. As the wind picksup, we sit down next to each other and look out at our territory.

Thereare a few brave flowers left, and the grasses still shimmer a brightgreen in places. The den is to our right and trees sway in patches atthe edges of our large territory.

"I'mthinking this will be a great place for pups. Once the warm weathercomes again." He comments as I lean against him.

His scent fills my nose and Ilightly lick his chin.

"Yes.Maybe the Zilas-acis pack will be great once again some day." Iagree, thinking of the future generations.

Wesit in silence for several moments later. I'm about to saysomething when were hear a howl from Mika.

"They'vemade a kill." Divan says cheerfully, leaping to his feet.

Ismile and follow him at a trot as he speeds off in the direction ofthe kill. He pauses when he realizes I'm not at his side. "

Mana?"He calls with worry.

"Goon, I'm just...thinking." I reply, my tail waving side to side.

Hehesitates, and then bounces over.

"Whatare you thinking about?" I smile at that, and bolt.

I still want to wait a littlelonger to tell him.

"Mana!"He cries out in good humor.

Wereach the kill site, where Faladae is proudly strutting about withtwo rabbits in his jaws.

"Look,look Mana! Divan!" he yips, his tail held high in confidence.

Divanlifts his tail even higher as a display of dominance, but he ischeerful still.

"Twoat once, pup? Nicely done." The black wolf barks as Faladae dropsthem.

"Yeah! I'm not much of a pupnow, huh?" The young wolf adds.

"No,not much longer before you are all grown." I put in gleefully.

Mylittle brother turns to me, his ears perked.

"Andsoon, I'mgoing to be teaching pups stuff! Right? Right?" He barks as heleaps about.

Mikachuckles at his antics, "Most surely."

Wesplit the rabbits as best as four wolves can. I save some for Riza,hiding it from Divan in my mouth. I don't think he notices, buteven if he did, he's feeling too playful to be hostile.

"Let'sgo back to the den to check on our newcomer." He calls, as ifreading my mind.

Isimply nod, unwilling to give away my secret. I race ahead of theothers, and they run after me, thinking it to be a race.

Ireach the den first, and find Riza glancing about nervously.

"Mana?"She asks as I drop the meat at her feet.

"Hurryup, before Divan comes!" I urge her and she hesitantly devours it.

Divancomes dashing over seconds later, nearly hitting the den with fullforce as he tried to slide to a stop. His fur is standing up, but hisears are perked. I nuzzle him happily and sit down between them.

Theothers gather around to chatter with Riza. Mika is both stiff leggedand friendly, and I wonder what she meant earlier. As I watch, foamforms at Riza's mouth, and I wonder if she's okay. Mika noticesit even before I do; how sick Riza really is.

"Getaway!" Mika yelps, yanking Faladae backwards as Riza snaps at theboth of them.