Nine

Thingsare tense in the Zilas-acispack. I am too sick from the freezing water to go out hunting andDivan and Juva fight over who should watch me and who should get mefood. The fights are an every day thing, and usually almost break outinto a challenge for leadership. Divan usually ends up staying withme, or I kick them both out and Mika stays by my side.

Neva'scondition is getting worse and worse. It's only been a few days andhe can barely move or even eat. What he does eat he later throws up.He doesn't have much longer to live.

"Mana,"Divan calls softly to me as morning comes,"Neva is gone."

Myhead jerks up, and I look around. Neva is nowhere to be found. I getup to my feet and make my way to the den's entrance. There is apuddle of water there, but I don't mind getting wet.

"Stop,you're sick still!" Juva protests, chasing after me, but Divanstops him.

"Lether go. This wolf is practically her father."

Foronce, Juva listens to him. Neither of them follows as I put my noseto the soggy snow, trying to catch Neva's scent.

Faladaeis doing the same, although he can't find the scent.

"Where'sNeva? I don't want him to go too!" He whimpers to me, but I don'thave the patience to answer.

"Mana!"Ilin calls to me and trots over.

"Ithink I saw him headed for the forest where we all first met." Shetells me softly.

"Thankyou, I'll be back." I reply, and race over to the forest.

Sheis close behind me, but I ignore that. I guess she's worried too.If they are going to stay in the pack, they'll need to becomefamily.

Wereach the trees and I can smell Neva but also blood.

"Neva!"I bark, racing towards the scent, but it's too late.

Histhroat is ripped open, blood splattered everywhere.

"Oh,too bad. He's dead already. I was hoping I could kill the two ofyou together." Ilin sneers, and I turn to her.

"Whatdo you mean?!"

"Iam going to kill you, to put it simply." She laughs, and lungesforward.

Ibarley dodge her attack, but I'm angry now. How dare she come hereto kill us!

"I'lltell Divan Neva had rabies and tore you apart before I could doanything." She barks as I dodge another lunge.

"No,I'll tell him the truth!" I snarl and also lunge.

Shedoesn't try to dodge me; she meets me head on. I am able to get ahold of her scruff, and that stops her crazy lunging, but not herlaughing.

"Ifanyone has rabies it's you!"I growl as I try to bring her to the ground.

Iknow what she wants. She wants Divan and my position as his mate.

"Toobad for my brother. If he had acted first and killed Divan, he couldhave had you!" She yips and bites my leg.

Iyelp loudly, and try to kick her off of me.

"Maybehe's fighting with him now." She slashes at my side, drawingblood.

"Bitch!Mika tried to warn me!" I snap, and my jaws reach her neck.

Ilet go of her before I can do any major damage.

"Getout of here or I won't hesitate to destroy you." I growl at her.

Shewhines and scrambles to her feet. She glances past me, back at theden, and then at me. I growl at her, bearing my teeth, preparing toattack again. She flees, leaving me with Neva's body.

"Iknew she'd try something like this." I hear Juva say behind me.

Iturn to face him as he and Divan run up to me.

"Areyou alright?! Juva, you should have told me sooner!" He growls,tense and ready for a battle.

"She'llbe back, but I don't know when. She's a stubborn bitch." Juvareplies as he sniffs at Neva's body.

"Faladaewill be heartbroken." I comment, looking away from the body.

Divanbegins licking my wounds.

"Thatstings, stop." I growl at him, but my protests are ignored.

"Ican't believe she'd actually do such a stupid thing." Juvasighs and turned to us. "Shall I go to the others and tell them?"He asks.

"Dowhat you will."

Divantakes me back to the den, where Mika and Faladae are mourning theloss of another pack member. Another wolf has died, and it'spractically my fault. I don't say anything as we join the others.

"Whatwill happen to him?" Faladae asks.

"Isuspect his body will be eaten by scavengers, but Neva himself willgo on to some other place." Divan mutters as I sit down, my headbent and eyes on the ground.

"Manaavenged his death, and drove the killer off our lands. If Ilin issighted again, kill her." He snaps, and turns to face me.

Ilook away and lay down. I was scared now. Maybe I should have killedher, end our worries after all.

"Mana.My sister is a fool, but I am glad you did not kill her. Maybe she'lllearn something for once." Juva murmurs to me. I perk my ears andlook at him.

Divansits down, and looks up at the sky.

"Springisn't too far away. You'll see grass soon." He states, changingthe subject.

Mikacatches on.

"I'mso excited, I can't wait. Faladae, do you know what flowers looklike?" She barks excitedly.

"Flowers?"The young wolf asks, standing, his tail wagging. I know they aretrying to cheer everyone up, so I try my best to play along.

"Ihope we get to see flowers. They are beautiful- or so I'm told."I say.

Divannods, his fur warming mine.

Divanglances over at Juva.

"You'llhave to leave, you understand." He states and Juva nods.

"IfI find my sister, I'll take her with me. Maybe we can find someother pack or other loners to join. May your hunts be plentiful."Juva replies.

Hegets up and leaves, heading the way his sister had gone.

"Henever did anything. Why'd you make him leave?" Faladae whines.

"It'sbecause we can't trust him. We couldn't trust him from the start.I should have driven them out. The elk should come today or tomorrow.They're already late." Divan growls as I lie down.

"I'llgo to the northern end or our territory. The wind is blowing towardsus; maybe I'll be able to smell them." Mika suggests.

Iperk my ears at that. "I'll go too. I need to clear my head." Icall, swiftly scrambling to my feet.

Myhead is already clear, but I need to get my thoughts straightened.