Four

We'vefinally found the elk again. It has been three days since Huen'sdeath. We are getting over it now, but I know I will never forget thestill look of his stare. Numi's death had been horrifying, butHuen's was terrifying, much worse. I will have to work hard to keepthis pack alive. Divan, I'm sure, will help as well.

"Isee them! I see them! Elk!!" Faladae barks as we finally comeacross the huge herd.

Ihad never seen so many animals living together before.

"We have a pick of thousands." Divan states as he sits.

Helifts his muzzle to the sky and howls, loud and clear. The rest of usjoin in, our notes loud and clear- although Faladae is a littleoff-key.

"Neva,Mika. Go scout out our prey." Divan tells them as the herd beginsto move away from us.

Theynod to him, and run towards the herd. There are a few stragglers, andthe two go to check them out.

"Let's follow them. They've probably already made a choice."Divan calls after a moment, and we silently slink towards them.

Onlyhis black fur can be seen, and the elk keep their eyes on him.

"Faladae,with me. Mana go with Mika and Neva, we'll get them that way."Divan tells us.

Weobey and I begin trotting to the other two, who are waiting.

Ilay down next to them for a moment as they scan the remaining six.There were two young bucks, and old doe with a limp, and a sickmother with her offspring.

"Isay we go for the old doe. She will be easy to catch." Mikamutters, but Neva shakes his head.

"No,no. The one with the baby. The little one will be taken care of bythe others, I'm sure. It shouldn't be drinking her milk anyway."Neva argues with her.

"Iagree with Mika, though. What if the young one isn'ttaken in by one of theothers?" I ask him.

"Then we'll getmore food." Neva replies.

"Theold one will die soon enough. Let's go." Mika growls, and takesoff after the old doe.

"Youngsters,"Neva snaps at me as we run after Mika.

Ismile at him as I spot Divan's dark body slinking towards the samedoe. Mika is herding it towards him, waiting for us to catch up. Iknow she could have leaped at the creature with ease, but I guess shewants us all in with the kill.

Ireach the doe before Neva and leap at her neck.

"Bringher down!!" Divan barks, Faladae right behind him.

Igrab a hold of her neck, and she let out an angry bellow. By chance,she is able to throw me off. Before she can trample me, I swiftly getback to me feet and attack her again. Faladae is nipping at herheels, and she's running faster now.

Iaccidentally run into Mika, and the two of us fall right under thedoe's hooves, tripping her.

"Watchout!" Mika snarls at me as the doe struggled to get up, but it istoo late for her. She will be dead and in our bellies in moments.

"Watchyou tongue, Mika. Remember, Mana is higher ranking than you!" Nevasnaps at the younger female. I glance at Divan, but he's trying tokeep the doe down while we bicker.

"Weare in the middle of a hunt, let's finish this later!" I bark atthem and run to the doe.

Igrab hold of her neck once more.

The others are on her, and she is easily brought down once more. I amshocked at how slow she had been.

"Kill her quickly. End her pain so we can feast." Divan tells me,and also takes a hold her neck.

Ican smell her warm flesh, and it makes me hungry enough to challengeDivan to who gets to eat first. However, I don't dare eat beforethe alpha. The others would probably punish me themselves if I did.

Wedon't stay long with the elk. Divan says that they are travelersand won't stay here long. We have eaten our fill, and I want tosleep, but Divan says that we must move on. I can understand wantingto find a new den soon, but I don't get why we have to keep movingwith our stomachs so full. However, he is the alpha, so I must followhis orders. Mika is silent, though Faladae and Neva are playing witheach other.

"Let'smove. We don't have much time! Can't you smell the storm coming?"Divan barks loudly at us.

Ilift my nose to sniff the air and I can smell fresh snow in theskies. A lot of it. All of us swiftly become serious, and file inbehind Divan according to rank. Mika trots beside me for severalmoments until I snap at her, knowing I must if I want to keep myposition. Faladae is at the back with Neva.

Iglance back once more at the doe with a longing to stay. We couldhave feasted for weeks, but if alpha says we must go on, then wemust.

"Mana, come here, I must speak with you." Divan calls to me, so Ipick up the pace so I can walk beside him.

"I wish for you to think seriously about what we talked aboutbefore Huen's death. It would please me if you were my alpha-ess.Mika is too immature for my tastes." He tells me.

Inearly stop dead in my tracks- I'd completely forgotten all aboutthat!

Igo silent for a moment, thinking.

"Ifit my alpha's will, I shall accept. It is my duty to the pack." Itell him after a moment of hesitation.

Whowould have known I would ascend ranks so swiftly?!

"Ican see you're confused. We'll talk more when we reach a safeplace." Divan murmurs, and lightly nuzzles me.

Ifall back behind him, but not too far. Mika is growling to herself,but she seems to have calmed down now. I wonder what the future willbring to this pack-to me.