Eight

It'sbeen nearly three days since Ilin and Juva have joined us. Divan isstill refusing to allow them into the pack, but at least they canhunt and sleep with us. Juva is telling me wonderful stories of whenhe was a puppy. Thrilling adventures that only a pup and his denmates can have together as they explore the outside of the den forthe first time, their first hunt, their first kill. Any story fromanother pack is interesting, even though they are so similar to us,they are also different.

Divanseems to be in an increasingly bad mood. I get the feeling he andMika don't like these strangers at all. I am not surprised though-now that we have Divan as our alpha, a lot is changing, but we arestill wolves. We are not like the elk who will accept any into theirherd. Divan goes out by himself a lot and doesn't come back forlong periods of time. I finally decide to follow him after two daysof this. He heads west, but there's nothing out there but a frozenlake.

Hedoesn't seem to notice I'm following him at all. He sits on theedge of the frozen lake.

"Divan?"I call to him, but he doesn't turn to face me.

"Divan,you are an alpha." I say louder, sitting next to him.

"Iknow, but I just...I hate this feeling I have. I don't like Juvabeing so close to you. It's new to me." He replies softly.

"Divan,he's just a loner. I've already agreed to be yours, and youpromised to teach me what love is. No one can take your place. Juvadoesn't know what love is, neither does his sister." I snort,looking out at the lake.

Divanis silent, refusing to say anything. I can see he's being stubbornand...annoyed.

"Divan,don't be a pup." I snap at him and he finally looks at me,shocked.

"I-I'mnot being a pup! Pups are annoying and make everyone annoyed! Pupsare something treasured; a beauty." His voice softens as he speaksand he gazes out into the distance.

"Youwant a pup, huh?" I chuckle just as Faladae charges at us fromnowhere.

"Neva'shurt! He fell and can't get back up!" He yelps.

Hetries to stop, be he slips on the ice.

"Faladae!"Both Divan and I bark, knowing how thin that ice must be.

"I'mscared! Mana, help me!" He whines, shaking.

"I'lltake care of Faladae, go to Neva, hurry!" I tell Divan.

"Butwhat if you get hurt?" Divan whispers, but I nudge him in thedirection of the pack.

"Youhave your duty. I have mine. Go!" I snap, and he flees.

Faladaeis still calling for help as he slowly inches back to the shore. Istep onto the ice and carefully walk towards him.

"Don'tstep anywhere you can see water, Faladae!" I tell him.

"I'mscared, Mana! I'm scared!" He says over and over as he searchesthe water ice around him.

Suddenly,there was a horrendous cracking sound as the ice between Faladae andI broke apart, and the young wolf fell into the freezing water. "

No!Faladae!" I bark, and leap in to help him.

Heis whining and swimming in confused circles.

"Faladae!Come this way! Come here!" I call to him, and he turns in mydirection.

Ilead him to where the ice floats over the water and he struggles toget back up. He lets out another yelp as it shatters under hisweight.

"Mana!"

"Keepgoing, Faladae! The shore is over there!"

Myjoints become stiff and it gets harder and harder to swim.

"GoFaladae!" I snarl at him, nipping at his ear.

Hestarts moving again, but whenever he tries to get onto the ice, itbreaks.

Hefinally reaches the shore, exhausted from the trial.

"Areyou alright, are you hurt?" He asks as I come up behind him.

Mystrength is completely gone, and I collapse in the shallow water,shivering.

"It'scold." I whimper, struggling up to my feet.

"Weneed to go back, Neva is hurt." Faladae replies, not looking at me."

Thengo, I'll be right behind you." I sigh, and limp forward.

Eventhough I'm out of the water, I'm freezing cold.

Faladaenods and leaps at the chance to go back and help Neva. He seems toalready be over the whole event. I'm still terrified, and that isthe only thing that keeps me moving. I wonder what happened to Neva.We had just been speaking about how he was getting old the other day,just before the hunt. A shiver of fear runs through my spine as Ithink about the concept of death. What actually would happen whenNeva was gone? Where would he go?

Juvais the first to notice me.

"Mana!Faladae told us what happened. I'm glad you're alright!" Hebarks, nuzzling me.

Witha snarl, Divan leaps at him, throwing him onto his side.

"Stayaway from Mana!" He snaps, and turns to me. "I'll help you getinto the den. It'll be warmer in there." He murmurs softly as Istare at him, shocked.

Idon't say anything, and allow him to grab my scruff and practicallypull me into the den. Neva is whining to himself in a corner.

Isink to the ground, feeling dizzy. Divan lies down next to me andFaladae trots in.

"I'msorry for not helping." He apologizes to me before going over tolay by Neva.

"Nevacan't see any more and he fell into the den. I'm worried he brokehis leg." Divan tells me.

Hisvoice is soothing, and I feel myself falling asleep. I lean againsthim as someone- it smells like Mika- lies on my other side.

Ihear them talking, but I don't want to join in. I'm too tired.

"Whathappened? All I know is one moment Faladae's freaking out aboutNeva and then he's freaking out about Mana." She whispers.

"Faladaegot stuck on some ice and apparently fell in. Dumb pup." Divangrowls, but Mika chuckles.

"ThatIS what he is. He's only about four months old."

"Iknow, but he looks enough like an adult." Divan replies with agrowl as I drift off into darkness.