One

Gold. That's the only way todescribe his eyes. Like the color of the sun before it turns red asit sets. The rest of my pack didn't have such vibrantly coloredeyes. Alpha's eyes had been yellow, but it was nothing compared tothis black creature's. He had come in the dead of the night as wewere struggling to survive this harsh winter. Alpha had just died,and we were about to split up the pack. We had thought there would beno hope for Zilas-acis.

Myname is Mana, and my pack is known as the Zilas-acisPack; the Blue-eyes Pack. We live that farthest north, and have verylittle interaction with any other packs. The last time we even sawanother wolf had been before Alpha was even born. Divan was the onlystranger that had come here in years, decades even. He had stunnedthe five of us who are left with his appearance from out of thestorm, dragging a young buck behind him. He told us he had alreadyeaten and gave the entire thing to us.

He'swatching us now, from Alpha's old spot on the rocks that look downon the rest of the cave. Neva, Faladae, Mika, and Huen are allsleeping now, but I can't.

"Whatdo you want with us?" I demand to know, but he only laughs softly.

Divanhasn't spoken much to any of us, but I can tell the other four arehappy that we won't have to split up and head south after all. Theylike having a leader, whether he is a newcomer or someone we all knowwell.

Ilook outside, but the blizzard is still raging, making it impossibleto see out. I know that Divan had dragged the buck a long way. Hemust have known he was going to need it, or he must have known wewere starving here. It didn't matter much anymore, though. If therest of the pack was happy, I should be happy too. I wonder why I amnot.

Inthe morning, Divan took us out to hunt. Faladae is still too young tohunt yet. He is the last of Alpha's pups- the only one thatsurvived. Because there are not many bears or other predators around,Divan told us it would be safe to leave him alone here. Faladaepromised he would stay within the cave and be good. I wasn't toosure, but I decided to trust Divan. If the others trusted him, Ishould too.

Thehunt didn't last long at all. There was very little prey andanother snow storm was blowing towards us. It wasn't that we reallyneeded the food, but Divan wanted us to get more for later. He has anodd way of thinking, but Mika seems to like the idea a lot as well.She will probably become his mate if he stays.

Isigh and keep going on as the others go back. Divan is watching me,but he's not saying anything again. He turns away and follows thepack back to the den after a moment, and I go on. I want to saygoodbye to Alpha one last time. His body would be covered by snownow, and maybe some of the daring birds that came out here had begunto feed on him, but still...I missed my grandfather, more than any ofthe others.

AsI had suspected, his body is coated in fine, white powder. Theblizzard snow makes his white fur sparkle in the sun. I sit down byhis head, and sniff at him. No animals other than the pack and I hadcome here. The birds will find him before the snow starts to melt,though. I hear something approaching and turn to find Divan trottingtowards me. He pauses five feet away, and sits down.

"Thisis our old Alpha. He died because of starvation. He wouldn't eatunless all of us had had our fill." I tell him, standing.

He stands as well, stepping towards me. I wait for Divan to saysomething, but he remains silent.

"Whyare you so different? I've never met a wolf who thinks like you do.Alpha had odd ideas, but yours are breaking the traditions." Ipoint out as he looks down at the thin body of Alpha.