Chpater 5

Carl's POV:
-
I woke up to complete darkness, it must be around 3AM. Ashley was sound asleep breathing softly. I pulled the covers off of me and got out of bed. I want to double check the house and make sure everything is okay. Everything on second floor was good so I started to make my way down to the main floor. I checked all the locks and they were sealed tight. I took a peek outside the window to see if there was anything worth worrying about.

My eyes widened at the sight, there I saw Daryl looking all around the block.

"Shit how have they already tracked us?"

I made my way back up the stairs and into our room. What should I do? Maybe he wont look in all the houses. I didn't want to wake Ashley up if I really don't need too. So there I lay wide awake in bed trying to think of a plan. Minutes turned into hours as I tried thinking of a plan. I move my gaze from the ceiling to the window and saw a faint amount of sun. Morning already? He must be gone then right? He HAS to be. I quietly made my way out of bed and back down the stairs to double check. No sign of anyone. We must be clear then.

Maybe I was just seeing things, maybe it was just a dream. I continue to look out the window and at the scenery, well that was before I got tackled to the ground. Not gonna lie I was scared shitless until I saw those beautiful green eyes.

"Ashley you can't do that."

"Sorry babe I saw the perfect opportunity and took it." She got up off the ground and made her way into the kitchen. She's never like this in the morning. I wonder what's gotten into her. She's usually moaning and groaning all over the place. 

"Whatcha doin?" I asked.

"Just lookin around for some food or something." I let her continue on with what she was doing and I made my way up the stairs. I grabbed the water bottles from my bag and even decided to make the bed. I was fluffing out the comforter when a piece of paper flies out of it.

"What is this?" 

I unfolded the paper and saw some writing.

"To whoever reading this. They're coming. The end is near. Run."

What the hell? Did Ashley know about this and not tell me?

I go back down the stairs and see her sitting at the kitchen table eating a granola bar and reading an old newspaper. I sit in the seat sat right across from her.

"Is there anything you would like to tell me?" She drops the newspaper and looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Like what Carl?"

"Oh I don't know something like this." I slam the note down on the table in front of her and her eyes widened in panic. 

"I um have no idea where that came from." She's such a bad liar, her face was bright red.

"Ashley explain this to me please, I'm trying my best to stay calm." 

She took a deep breath before starting to explain.

"When we found that woman's body in the second floor bathroom I saw that piece of paper lying on the ground next to her. When you weren't looking I picked it up because I was curious of what it said. That night I read it and thought nothing of it. It's probably nothing to worry about, that note could be months old."

"Either way you have to tell me these things. We're a team we have to protect each other." I don't want to argue with her. Last time we did that and it was just the two of us Ashley ran away and almost died. I noticed she started to tear up a bit. Why?

"I'm sorry Carl. I just really want for this to work. I was scared the note would freak you out and you would want to go back to the group. I don't want to go back to the group, I like feeling free and in charge." I wiped the tears that fell down her cheeks and hugged her waist.

"This will work Ashley, I promise. We are older now and know what we are doing." She smiled up at me and hugged me back. This is where we belong.

Should I tell her about Daryl? If I don't I'll basically be a hypocrite but I'm not even sure what I saw. I'm not even sure if I was awake. I'll hold off on it for now, but if I see anything like that again I'll tell her. I have too. 

The rest of the day consisted of sitting together on the couch reading books and cuddling. That's such an unmanly word but oh well. The day passed by quickly and before we knew it, it was dark out. Well should I say before I knew it because she was already passed out with a book covering her chest. Must've been a boring book.

I carried her upstairs so she could sleep a little more comfortably. I laid down next to her stripping out of my shirt since I usually never sleep in one anyways. Once I was comfortable the sleep started to take over. That was until I heard noises coming from outside...

End of chapter 5.

Cliffhanger so sorry! But I really hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. It's pretty boring right now but don't worry that will change. I would love to interact with you guys more! So feel free to inbox me sometimes and I'll try to reply and follow some of you back:)

xx