8.) Helpless

A Couple Days Later

"Rose, I was told you wanted to see me?" King Hyun asks, announcing his entrance as he shuts her bedroom door behind himself. She looks up from her notebook, where she had previously been sketching an image of the pond you took her to.

Your secret Heaven on Earth.

"Yes, father. I'd like to talk to you and mom about the marriage proposal."

"Is something wrong?" He inquires, sitting down in front of her on the bed without looking first. The thick material of his pants crinkles up a part of her drawing, making her cringe in annoyance; he's always been rather inconsiderate. She takes it out from under him, doing her best to seem unaffected.

"I don't want to marry Y/N's cousin."

"You haven't even met him yet," he chuckles, not taking his daughter seriously. He's always treated her like a child, so his dismissal isn't surprising.

"Maybe not, but I don't want to get married. I'm too young! I still have so many things I want to do first. You know how it works, father."

"Roseanne," he sighs and shakes his head, "Y/N says that he's a good man, and you trust her judgement, don't you?" He waits for her to respond, both of them knowing that she doesn't doubt what you had to say about him. "I'm sure that he'll be kind and allow you just as many freedoms as you have right now, honey."

"That's the thing, father: I don't want to have to be allowed something that should be mine regardless. I want to be with someone who treats me as their equal and doesn't control me."

"This is the fourth marriage proposal that you've turned down, Rose." He says, voice growing more stern but still remaining level. "Your mother and I won't be able to arrange them forever, and you're not getting any younger. Please, make this easy for everyone and just agree to it."

King Hyun pretends to be a father concerned with making sure his daughter's future is taken care of and stable, but both of them know he's only arranging this for his own personal gain. He's never once asked Roseanne about her feelings on the matter, nor for her input on the man she'd be signing her life away to. That fact infuriates her, and seeing him act like he actually cares makes her skin crawl.

"I won't." She says simply, setting her jaw.

"You will, Roseanne." He says, standing up. He looks down at her as if to show his authority.

"Mother would agree with me." She responds.

"What she has to say doesn't matter; I'm the one giving you away so it's my decision."

She narrows her eyes at him, shocked but not surprised at his lack of decency. "Should I go tell her that myself, then? I don't think she'd take too kindly to being talked about like that." If there's one thing that Rosé knows, it's that her mother doesn't take shit from anyone -- and her father is no exception.

"Go ahead, if you think that'll matter," he bites back, looking menacing as he continues, "but she knows her place. It's about time you knew yours."

"You can't--"

"You're marrying Jackson." He informs, shutting her down. "I've already spoken with King Kwan about his arrival, and he'll be here within the week. Since you're in bad need of a wakeup call, I'm only giving you two days to get to know him before the wedding. If you try to get out of it, you'll be punished. Do you understand me?" He commands more so than asks, knowing she doesn't have a choice to refuse. His paternal tone is strict and unwavering, relentless in its quest to upset her.