5.) Betrayed

4 Days Later

"Rosé, if you aren't out of there in the next 5 minutes I'm coming in to get you." You call out from your spot on the bed, where you lay sprawled out with your arms resting behind your head.

Her heart speeds up at the idea of that, but she clears her throat before responding to mask the nervous crack in it. "Yah, just a minute."

You smile at that, not bothering to hide the dorky way your face crinkles up at the mere sound of her voice; you're alone right now, so your secret is safe with the universe.

Bored with sitting still for as long as you have, you decide to get up and look outside to pass the time. Birds call out to each other from the large trees outside, all of them carrying out their daily duties in tandem with one another. You meander towards the balcony, but halt your movements when something on her desk catches your eye.

It's a letter, with the word "URGENT" scrawled at the top.

Your brows furrow instinctively, conveying the intrigue you feel as you step forward and pick it up.

Dearest Uncle,

I have the information you requested.

Their lines of defense are strategic and well thought out, but it's all done by Princess Y/N. If someone were to distract her or she was rendered incapable of making arrangements for the kingdom, I doubt her father would have the knowledge or skills necessary to effectively step in.

She oversees their training when she has time as well, so they're relatively skilled. Our people are trained differently, though, so we have advantages that they lack.

I'm confident that we could overthrow them, therefore--

You curse yourself for falling for her charms. You should've known it was all too good to be true.

"Y/N, what are you doing?" The smile that once adorned her beautiful face quickly falls when she exits her washroom and spots you at her desk, a tense air hanging heavily in the room.

You avoid her question, instead opting to hold the paper up to her. "Care to explain this?" The growing anger in your voice mixes with the betrayal you feel, forming a dangerous combo.

Her eyes land on the letter, and she knows exactly what you're talking about when she sees the title. "Y/N, I promise that I can explain."

"What, that you want to overthrow us? What more is there to explain? I should've known not to trust you." You spit back, words sounding like venom to her.

"Please, let me clarify." When you don't say anything else, she takes that as her sign to continue.

"My uncle requested that I send him information about how your kingdom is run, so I've been collecting intel for him--"

"You've been spying on us?" You ask, already knowing the answer to your own question.

"Well yes, but--"

"I see. So that's why you've spent so much time with me, then."

"Y/N, no. That's not the only reason."

"Don't patronize me, Roseanne." You cut your eyes at her. "I've dealt with my fair share of betrayal in my 23 years of life, so this isn't new to me. I know how it works."

"Nothing bad is meant to happen! I'm not telling him so that we can attack."

Even more confused now, you shake your head and turn away, beginning to walk towards the door. This is exactly what she wants; she wants to confuse you and mess with your feelings. That's one of the Parks' specialties; they're seductive and alluring in every way, rendering their victims helpless as they reel them in.

She grabs your wrist when she notices the letter still clutched in your hand.

"Wait, please," she practically begs. You know it's only because she doesn't want to get caught, and that's precisely what'll happen when you show your father. You continue towards the door, dragging her along with you when she refuses to let go.

"Do you really want to start a war?" She finally shouts, exasperated at the fact that you won't give her a proper chance to explain.

You shake free from her strong grip and turn to look at her, making her breathless with the piercing look in your eye. "That's the last thing I want, and you know it." You say, keeping your voice calm and level like you've been taught. It's proving difficult though, when dealing with your enemy.

"What's going to start a war is when people like you send out vital information like this," you point at the letter.

"I was giving him that information so he can send our best guards to train yours. We were planning to transport them in the coming weeks, when talks of finalizing the alliance begin. If you would've kept reading, you would've seen that." She says, hurrying the words out while she has the chance.

"Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?" You ask, holding back a laugh. "I'm supposed to believe that?"

"It's the truth." She simply says, blinking at you.

"Even if it is, you should never have sent something like that in a letter. That's what our couriers are for. They're entrusted to relay information by word of mouth and die with it, should they get caught. That was irresponsible of you; you know what our enemies like to do to messengers."

"Maybe so, but I was unaware that that service even existed. Regardless, my intentions were pure."

"Why didn't you tell me, then? You're smart, Roseanne, so you should've anticipated that you could get caught. This looks much more incriminating now that you didn't tell me you were spying before."

"You're right, Y/N, I am smart. If I told you before, you wouldn't have let me get close enough to find out anything of importance. I know you're protective."

You take a deep breath in, knowing that her words hold some truth. You look down at the paper again, finishing the rest of the paragraph from before:

...therefore, we need to send Ramsay's squadron. They trained our men to be as good as they are, and I believe they can do the same for Y/N's.

She watches you expectantly, hoping that the words will speak for themself and prove that her intentions are true. When you fold it up and put it in your pocket, she doesn't know what to think.

"I'll send a courier up later, but I'm keeping this as evidence in case you're lying or using it as a cover. Tell him everything you want to tell your uncle." You inform, regaining some sense of composure as you run a hand through your hair to tidy it up.

"Are we... okay?" She tries after a moment, doing her best to mask the hopefulness in her tone.

"Not entirely. I can't exactly trust that that's all you were hiding from me."

Her indiscretion stirred within you the worst parts of your fear, drawing your trust issues back out from the shadows, where they were beginning to lay dormant. You want to believe her, truly, you do, but you have more to worry about than just your own desires. Your people count on you to keep them safe, and that responsibility isn't lost on you.

Her family is infamous for their secrecy and cunning, so it's really no wonder that your defenses are rising back up.

"It was, but I understand. Take as long as you need."

You curtly nod and bow, throwing a "Goodbye, Rosé," over your shoulder on your way out the door.

She takes comfort in the fact that you called her by her nickname, but even that can't rid her of the sinking feeling in her chest. She can't blame you for being cautious, and she knows she's partially at fault; she just hopes more than anything that this doesn't make you question every interaction the two of you shared. You're an overthinker, just like her, so you're probably picking apart every memory you've ever made with her.

With a sigh, she collapses onto the bed in an exhausted heap and stares at the ceiling, wondering how she can prove her loyalty to you.