Chapter 21 ~ The Idol at Hinode High School

Whatever troubling thoughts she had about Subaru and Natsume's quarrel was forcefully pushed to the back of her mind as the days rolled by. Other things that were more pressing at the present occupied her mind instead.

Winter had long left the country of the rising sun, and spring had come knocking. The cherry blossoms had already wilted, though their momentary beauty was remembered my most. Despite that, the trees were green and lush, still holding a beauty unique to themselves. Mid-spring also marks the start of the new school year, and she was still in a daze over her step up in year level. She was now a high school senior, and that thought excites and scares her at the same time.

[a/n: believe me when I say that senior year is scary yet exciting. the future feels uncertain when you are almost done with high school and if any of you feel that way it is truly okay. you will get through it.]

The first day of school is always lighthearted if anyone was to ask Y/n what it was like. The weather had lost its chill yet was not as scathingly hot as the summer would be. The breeze was cool, refreshing to her. It was pleasant.

Right now, she was stationed at the information desk near the gates of their school with Yusuke and Ema, ready to help any new students should they ask. She watched as new and returning students alike walked through the school gates, chattering with their friends. It looked quite lovely and everyone seemed to be in a good mood.

"They all seemed so fresh and innocent, don't they?" Ema commented from her left, smiling at a pair of new students talking excitedly amongst themselves.

"Every single one of them has "kid" written all over their face," Yusuke stated on her right, making her chuckle.

"I suppose even we were wide-eyed and innocent too two years ago," she said with a breathy laugh, nudging at both Yusuke and Ema.

The cheerful atmosphere brightened her mood and she felt light that morning. Before shit went down, at least.

"Working hard there, I see."

Hearing a familiar voice, Y/n's eyes trailed over to where they stood. She blinked, a bit surprised when she saw Azusa, and even more surprised to see that he was in a suit instead of his usual outfit. Even his hair seemed neater than usual. Ah, she realized, this was probably the first time she saw him without his hair covering his left eye. She thought he looks even better like that.

The other two seemed to have taken notice of the man, and they called out his name in surprise.

"Azusa-san!"

"Azu-nii!"

Azusa smiled when he saw the shocked looks the three high school seniors wore on their faces. "What's wrong? Do I have something on my face?" [a/n: handsomeness methinks]

Y/n was quick to reply.

"You just look different from how you usually dress," she said with a smile of assurance.

"But what is with the getup?" Yusuke asked him with a frown, leaning closer to his brother. "Or rather, what are you doing here in the first place?"

Yusuke had pretty much asked everything Y/n was wondering about and she waited for the dark-haired man to answer.

"I hadn't planned on coming myself, but today just had to be the day that Masa-nii, Kyo-nii, and Kana-nii all said they were busy," the man said as he tucked a folder into his arm with a sigh, although his smile did not fade from his face. "So, I had no choice but to come to play the role of the guardian."

"Role of the guardian?" Ema asked out.

Y/n did not really care what Azusa came to do at their school, so long that the tranquility was not broken.