nine

"I just don't understand!" Lydia hummed under her breath at her aunt's excessive ranting from the kitchen, focused on her homework before her instead

"I just don't understand!" Lydia hummed under her breath at her aunt's excessive ranting from the kitchen, focused on her homework before her instead. "To Loren of all people! I've poured my heart and soul into Project Stardust only to be cast to the side, give all the credit to Loren of all people. It's just unbelievable."

"Oh I'm sure," Lydia mumbled, her mind in a different world as she stared at the math problems in front of her.

Emma Blair turned, forgetting about the pasta slowly simmering on the stove as she walked over to Lydia, leaning across the opposite side of the counter and moving her homework to get her attention.

"You've been in your own little world for weeks now. Still fighting with Peter?"

Lydia sighed, giving up on the math while her aunt went back to cooking their dinner. The sun was setting in the background, illuminating the high-rise apartment through the glass windows lining the living room behind them.

"One second it feels like we're making progress, like we're both understanding one another, and then the next it feels like it's all out the window," Lydia sighed. "I want him to understand that I get why he has to lie about the internship, but I feel as if he doesn't understand why it's really making me so upset."

"That's boys for you," Emma commented, turning back to the food before the headline on the news caught both of their attentions. One of New York's infamous ferries was on fire, and split in half, barely being held together by Stark Industries technology in the middle of the river while police and rescue crews made their way to the passengers on board, the headline mentioning something about Spider-Man and Iron Man. Emma scoffed at the tv, pointing at Lydia. "You don't ever get yourself involved in stuff like this."

"Em, I'm not a superhero-"

"And on the off chance you ever become one, I will beat you into oblivion before I let it happen," Lydia couldn't help the chuckle that fell from her lips, a knock on the door sounding through the apartment as she got up to answer it. "All they do is get themselves into trouble- hell, Captain America is a fugitive!"

Lydia only laughed off the comments from her aunt, swinging open the front door of her apartment without a second thought to check who stood on the other side. Her smile dropped, her breath catching, as her eyes locked with the brown ones on the other side.

Peter Parker looked broken, so broken that it broke Lydia's heart. She hadn't seen him like this since Ben Parker, and she had hoped she'd never see him like that ever again. he wore a tourist t-shirt that said 'I survived my trip to NYC', his under eyes were worn and red, and tears were still pooling in his eyes and threatening to fall any second.

"Peter..." Lydia could only whisper, she had no words. Emma Blair peeked around the corner into the hallway, her face falling at the sight of the boy she knew so well at the door.