six

"Okay so you cried all night, so what are we going to do today?"

"Not cry,"

"Exactly, now what are we going to do on the bus ride to DC?"

"Think about anything but Peter,"

"That's my girl," Lydia rolled her eyes at Nadia's comment, her friend's elbow digging into her side playfully as they laughed, walking through the student parking lot toward their awaiting bus to take the team to DC for the Academic Decathlon. "Listen, I'm sure Peter just wasn't thinking when he walked away yesterday. I'm sure you two will be back to normal in no time."

"Nadia...he's just been so different lately. He doesn't feel like my Peter," Lydia tried to explain. Funny how Peter was the one thing Nadia didn't want her to think about, but was here forcing her to think about him.

"I mean, he does have an internship with Tony Stark. I'm sure he probably had to sign a bunch of paper work, maybe like 30 different non disclosure agreements. Maybe you're just more upset because of the fact that you like him?"

"Maybe, but this is more than that," Lydia told her with a shake of her head as they neared the team waiting with Mr. Harrington. "I know there's things he has to keep secret about the internship, but this...he's hiding something else and I don't know what it is. I just don't understand why he can't trust me enough to tell me."

The pair let the subject drop between them, there was nothing else that could really be said, as they joined the team by the bus. They checked in with Liz and Mr. Harrington while saying hello to Ned, loading their luggage into the bus as Mr. Harrington did a final check.

Lydia only leaned against the bus, looking up at the sky above while Nadia conversed with Michelle beside her. She just wanted to get on the bus and think of anything other than her best friend.

"Peter?"

Of course, Lydia wasn't going to get what she wanted. She looked up at Abe's comment, seeing Peter approaching the team with a timid smile, and his back slung over his shoulder.

"Hey guys..." Peter looked toward Liz as Mr. Harrington was currently on the bus. "I was hoping maybe I could rejoin the team."

There was a laugh from Flash as he made his way to the front of the group, pointing at Peter.

"No, no way. You can't just quit on us, stroll up, and be welcomed back by everyone,"

Mr. Harrington exited the bus, his eyes lighting up at the sight of Peter.

"Hey, welcome back, Peter. Flash, you're back to first alternate,"

"What-"

"Excuse me, can we go already?" Michelle cut in, eyes turning toward her. "'Cause I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassies before dinner, so."