three

"Okay, did the world end? Because you're normally out the door three hours before I even wake up,"

Emma Blair laughed at the comment from her niece, taking  sip of her coffee as she looked out the kitchen window overlooking Queens in their luxury high-rise. Being one of the head scientists for Sowell Tech, only second to Stark Industries, had it's perks. Barely having to worry about finances was one of those perks.

"We stayed late last night, finishing up some last minute touches on a special project..." Emma trailed off with a grin as she slid a plate of waffles to her niece, who looked at them questionably as she sat down at the island counter.

"You're not at work, you're serving me waffles...I'm serious, did someone die?"

The girl's aunt gave a laugh, letting her niece settle into her breakfast before school before finally blurting out the secret she was holding in.

"Project Stardust is finalized, and the rest of the world gets to see it in action next month,"

In hindsight, Emma should've waited until her niece was done eating, as the news had her choking on the waffle she had just put into her mouth.

Lydia's eyes were wide in shock as she dropped her fork, finally calming down after her coughing fit enough to look at her grinning aunt.

Project Stardust, the code name at Sowell Tech for the world's first star created on earth. Scientists at Sowell Tech had been working for years on the design and implementation, Lydia's aunt being lead of the team of scientists trying to recreate a star right here on earth. Since reading her aunt's files months ago, it was all Lydia could think about. The girl who's head lived in the stars dreamed of the day that scientists could harness that raw power for themselves.

"You're serious?" Emma nodded, not that her niece believed her. "You're not kidding with me right now, are you?"

"If I was kidding, would I be giving you these?" Emma passed her niece a pair of tickets to the event. Lydia's eyes widened as she took the tickets into her hand, a grin larger than life on her face. "Figured you'd bring Peter along. The poor boy has had to hear your excitement for months, guess it's good for you both to experience it together."

"I get to see a star? A real star, up close?" there was nothing else that Lydia could focus on as she looked down at the tickets in her hand.

"Tickets don't go live for a week, so just do your best not to get me into trouble by telling the whole world in your excitement," Emma shot at the young girl, turning to pour herself a cup of coffee. "And tell Peter not to text me a thousand times to say thank you for the tickets. He did that for your movie last month. Lord, I love the boy, but it was a bit much."

Lydia sighed at the mention of Peter's name, throwing the tickets down and pushing her food around he plate, slowly eating it tiny piece by tiny piece.