ii. the wedding - flashback

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

CHAPTER TWO

THE WEDDING (FLASHBACK)

1st August 1996:

★ ★ ★

Luke's granny was sick and there was nothing in the world that prepared him for this.

    In the early month of August and he spent his summer like he usually did: at the start, he spent it looking for some sort of full or part-time work in his Bradford. The people here were alright once you got to know them which is why he spent the earlier of his summer months working in one of the pubs down by the market. The only bad thing was that previous to this year, Luke was too shy to even try and get a job: thinking back on it now, he thought that was ridiculous of him. He worked, earned money, helped his granny pay for her medicine.

     She was ill because she caught a cold and had a bad set of lungs - probably because she smoked from the time she was fourteen. She did not have the body to support herself through sickness anymore. Luke was sure she would be fine anyway, she had gotten sick before.

      But this time something told him it was different.

      It was past nine o'clock in the night when he sat at the table with her. He took note of how much weight she lost, how her eyes were droopy and tiresome, how she was shaking even though the fire was on since earlier that day. The radio was on - it was the only magical device in the house that kept them in with the news of the Wizarding World - and they were talking about someone being charged with improper use of magic outside school. Luke wasn't interested in it so he switched it off.

     "You're not going to die are you?" 

     His grandmother lifted her head in shock. "What type of question is that?" She asked him, brow-raising.

     "Sorry...." He sheepishly muttered.

     "Nonetheless, it's a conversation we should have--" She mentioned nodding to herself, she let out a cough and he winced. She sounded in pain. "When I die, don't you dare get all sad and blue and refuse to go back to Hogwarts or pull anything like that. You accepted my death and move on--"

     Luke was wide eye, "Of course I will be sad?!"

     "Naturally, but don't be for too long. I don't want you to waste time away thinking about me. You and Aurora are still moving in after this year together, right?" She asked him.