Opposites Attract

Lucy's POV

I quickly scanned my reflection in the mirror then grinned half-heartedly. Another horrible day of school. I'm always getting picked on for dressing a little differently. Well... maybe not a little differently. More like VERY differently.

Today, I'm wearing a black and white stripped tank top paired with black skinny jeans and black biker boots. That's not too abnormal right? But on top of my outfit, I'm as pale as a Edward Cullen himself, I'm skinny, I look really fragile thanks to all the bullies and I have redish-goldish highlights in my long brown hair. Now that's more unusual right? But I like to think of myself as an unique person. Unique in a good way.

"Mum! I'm going to school!" I shouted as I swung my bag over my right shoulder. Not like she would care. I have to take care of myself to stay alive. The only thing she does for me that I'm grateful for is buy food since I don't have a job.

I stick my earphones in and bop my head to the rock music. I don't like pop music or classical music or hip hoop, rock is my type. But everyone else in the school either likes One Direction or Coldplay or Drake or stuff like that. NO. Rock music is my thing.

Suddenly, I crashed into someone.

"I'm sorry!" He cried out. He helped me pick up my iPod and bag then handed it to me.

"Sorry for the crack." He mumbled.

"What crack?" I asked curiously. He pointed at my iPod where I found two or three cracks at the edge of the screen. I smiled a very depressed smile at him then continued on my way to school. If I don't hurry up, I'm going to be late for school.

"Wait. I want to make it up to you!" He called after me. I ignored him then started running to school. If I'm lucky, I might make it on time. But then again, when am I ever lucky?

------------------------

Sure enough, I had been late. And not only that, my punishment had been to decorate the gym for prom on my own. And I HAVE to go to prom. The principal knows my hatred towards prom apparently. The only good thing about this is that I get time out of class to decorate. Fun, right?

I walked home dejectedly and saw the boy from this morning at the nearby park with three other boys. I quickly scurried past so that he won't see me then ran the whole way home. Not that I want to go home but I just didn't want to see that boy again. He's too nice and cheerful and normal for my taste.

I brought my bag into my room then tossed it next to my bed. I took out my new library book then started reading. I love reading which I find slightly ironic. I'm this rock girl who dressed darkly and loves reading.

Can't wait till today is over. Then I can go to school and start to work on decorating the gym for prom. Note the sarcasm.

--------------------------

As soon as homeroom was over, I threw everything into my tiny and cramped locker then headed to the gym. There were already many boxes probably filled with decorations in the middle of the gym. The only thing that was set up was the stage where a band is supposed to perform instead of a DJ since the band was cheaper to hire. They will perform two or three songs then join the prom, leaving the stereo to do the rest of the work. Or at least that's what rumours spreading around the school have been about.

"Well, better get started." I mumbled to myself.

For the rest of the day, I set up fake pillars then strung lights on them, added colourful flowers into every nook and cranny, added cut out letters on the wall that read '2012 PROM' and checked the lights and microphones.