Surprise!

Benny and I stood there both awkwardly staring at his dad. He looked a lot like Benny. He was tall with curly black hair, olive skin, and he had the same nose as Benny. Really the only difference was he didn't have brown eyes, his were green. He was buff, tattoos covered his right arm, and he wore a tight black shirt that showed off his muscles. He looked exactly like I imagined Benny would when we were old.

"Benny, you remember your father, " Anne said nervously.

She probably knew he wasn't gonna take this well too because she looked at me and made a scared face.

He didn't respond. He just stood there frozen and staring at him. I looked down at his hands to see he was clenching them both to make a fist. I slipped by hand into his, making him not as tense but he was obviously still angry.

"Hey, " his dad said hesitantly and waved his hand once then clung it to his side.

"Hey?" Benny finally spat, "seven years, and all you say is hey?"

He didn't say anything back, all he did was stand there by Anne and look completely shocked.

"I thought you'd be a little more excited to see me-"

"Sorry for hating you after leaving us in the dumps for all these years," he said sarcastically.

"I didn't know that's how you felt, " his dad said scratching the back of his head like Benny did when he was nervous.

"I was eight and Lilly was two. Of course, I wouldn't be happy to see you." he stormed off, letting go of my hand.

The three of us just stood there watching him stomp down the hall until he slammed the door to his room behind him.

I looked back at his dad who was also looking back at me now. I smiled awkwardly because I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to be rude, but I also wanted to check on Benny.

"You must be Ella?" His dad asked walking towards me holding out a hand for me to shake.

"Yeah, that's me. It's nice to meet you sir," I took his hand with a smile.

"Please, call me Luis." he smiled, "I'm sorry I didn't think he would act like that, I had no idea how much trouble I caused." he ran his hand through his hair with the other one on his hip.

I couldn't tell if he meant what he was saying or if he was just faking it, but it seemed pretty real to me.

"I should probably go check on him, " I said awkwardly.

"No, I'll do it. This seems like something I need to take care of." Anne said walking towards the hall.

As she was in there talking to him, Luis and I sat in a weird silence on the couch waiting for them.

"You know when I imagined this moment in my head it went a lot better than this." he laughed awkwardly, "I thought Lilly would run to my arms, and Benny and I could just go back to playing baseball in the front yard like we used to."

"With all due respect, sir, you did leave them for another girl when he was just a kid, he's grown up now," I said in the nicest way possible.

"I know, I've made some bad decisions, but-"

"But what?" Benny said standing right at the end of the hallway leaning against the wall.

"But I realize now that I should've been there for you."

"You couldn't have realized that all those years ago?" he said getting even more defensive.

"Benny I-"