Nightmares

July 11, 2021

I was running down the hall of the hospital, no one else to be found besides two people at the end. I stopped running when I realized It was Gran and my mom.

"Ella." They both called out in faint, tired voices.

I turned around to run in the other direction, but Gran was right behind me.

"Why haven't you visited me yet?" Gran said with tears of blood running down her face.

Two hands grabbed my shoulders and turned me to face the other direction. It was my mom.

"You don't miss me anymore do you?" Mom said.

"I do," I cried, "I miss you every day!"

Then out of nowhere, I was back at the bakery, standing over Gran's unconscious body with flour all over her.

I reached into my pocket to grab my phone, but when I looked back at her she was sitting up looking at me.

"You just stood there." She said in a voice that was way too deep to be hers, "you didn't do anything to help and now you won't even come to visit me."

"I'm sorry." I cried as I dropped to my knees.

"No, you're not." Mom said from the other side of the room, tubes hooked up to all different parts of her body. "You won't miss her just like you don't miss me."

"But I do miss you!" I screamed, "I miss you all day every day!"

"Then come visit me," Gran said, now standing in Mom's place with tubes attached to her.

I backed up, my breathing heavy everything getting fuzzy and a loud ringing in my ears until I ran into the wall which turned into the hospital wall. I slid down, unable to breathe until I was sitting on the floor exactly where I was crying with Benny, except he wasn't there this time. My mom was standing in front of me, holding a hand out for me to take. As I reached up to grab it she backed away into the darkroom across from me.

"Mom!" I yelled, "come back I need you."

I stood up and ran towards the room, but the door kept getting further and further until I gave up running.

"I need you." I cried.

I shot up in the bed, my breathing was unsteady, and I was sweating. I looked around the pitch-black room to make sure I wasn't still dreaming. I was awake, and so was Benny who turned the light on next to the bed.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He said as he sat up next to me.

I couldn't say anything, I was too shaken up.

"Ella," he put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm right here it's okay."

I burst into tears when he said that. He took me in his arms and laid us both back down without letting go of me. I hid my head in his chest and continued to cry as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"I didn't do anything," I cried.

"What do you mean?" He asked, not letting go of me.

"When I found her," I lifted my head off his chest and looked at him, "all I did was call 911 and stand there staring at her unconscious body."

"You did everything you could." He said in a comforting voice, "you called 911, what else were you supposed to do?"

"I was late," I sat back up at put my head in my hands.