Alliance

June 26, 2021

Benny still hadn't answered my text from the day before, so I just assumed he was grounded.

I got out of bed and got ready to work at the bakery. I put my hair in a ponytail, did my mascara, then brushed my teeth. I put on jean shorts and a yellow t-shirt with a flower on it then put my running shoes on and went downstairs.

My dad was still asleep, but Gran was up and ready to leave and already making pancakes.

"Someone's up early," she said as she picked up the perfectly golden pancake with her spatula and put it on a plate for me along with a biscuit and two pieces of bacon.

"Thank you," I said taking the plate and walking over to the table.

"So I heard about your date with Jake last night," she said walking over with her plate full of food and setting it on the table next to me.

"It wasn't really a date..." I said pouring a glass of orange juice, "it was more of like a peace offering or something."

"Right, so I didn't see you two sharing a milkshake when I walked past Norma's?" she raised an eyebrow at me.

"Friends can share milkshakes you know," I said matter of factly.

"Right," she said looking down and cutting her pancake into squares. "You know Logan beat his ass right?" she laughed.

"So I heard." I tried to keep a straight face, but it was honestly really funny. I've never seen Jake lose a fight until now.

We both at breakfast then walked to the bakery. Like always, Phillips was already there waiting for us on the front steps of the bakery, but to my surprise so was Benny. They weren't talking or looking at each other, they were just sitting as far away from one another as possible. Logan was of course on his phone, and Benny looking around at the scenery even though he's seen it millions of times by now.

Benny was the first one to see Gran and Me walking towards them, so he stood up with a big smile on his face. Phillips just kept playing on his phone. I ran to Benny and attacked him with a big hug which he returned with the same energy as always.

"It's about time you got here. I had to sit with that idiot for like three whole minutes." Benny purposely said loudly so Phillips would hear.

"Oh no." Phillips said in an emotionless tone, "My feelings are so hurt." He stood up.

"Logan, be nice," I said walking up to him and hugging him as well.

"Ha," Benny said childishly.

"You too Benny." I turned back to look at him.

Gran walked up the steps and unlocked the doors to the bakery. As we all went inside I could hear Benny and Phillips whispering something to each other, but I couldn't make out what exactly they were saying.

I turned on all the overhead lights and the LED "open" sign, then walked behind the counter to put my apron on.

Both the boys saw I was struggling to tie it, as always, and said "let me help you." In unison.

Was this their way of trying to get me to choose between them or something? I didn't want one to feel bad because I chose the other and then the boys get into a fight of some sort.

"It's fine, I'll ask Gran," I said with a smile then quickly walked back into the kitchen where Gran was.

"Help me," I whispered loud enough for her to hear, but not the guys.

"With what?" She asked, spinning me around to tie the ribbon behind me.

"It's like they're fighting over me, without actually fighting over me." I paused as she finished tying it then turned to look at her. "I don't know what to do."