XXII. The Auction

"May we speak to the head of the family," the Mafia member asks. He is a rather stern man, and his expression is similar to that of Mizaistom's. Nobunaga looks over his shoulder, and Machi nods in response. Sighing, Nobunaga presses on the gas, and the car moves up slightly so that Light may speak.

    Machi and I switch sitting positions, as family members regularly sit beside each other. I press my hidden dagger in my heels to his ankle, and I feel his figure stiffen against the leather seats. The window rolls down, and the mafia member asks,

    "Name?" Unlike his tone in speaking to Nobunaga, the man's once harsh voice was now softened, if only barely.

    To which Light, barely trembling, replies, "Light Nostrade." The member leans closer to the window, his eyes scanning Light's face. He then takes a step back and nods, gesturing to Nobunaga to continue. The car takes off once again towards the building that is now in sight.

    It towers over the other skyscrapers, and brilliant lights flash from behind the windows. Upon our arrival, Machi opens the door for Light to step out, and as a group, we approach the entrance. After coming in, Phinks roughly grabs the man's arm, and leads him down a separate hallway. There, we'd planned that he would restrain Light, and regroup with us behind the stage.

    My arms are crossed as I walk down the velvet lined hallways, brightly shining from overhead lights. The rest of the Spiders walk alongside me, and as we reach a door labeled 'backstage,' Feitan shoves the door open.

    Many stage works whisper hushed words into their headsets and microphones, scrambling around the room with items in their hands. In the center, standing on a pedestal is a woman who holds a clipboard. She immediately sees us, and points to us, saying,

    "You shouldn't be in here, it's a workers onl-" Her words don't continue to spill out of her mouth, as Feitan rushes towards her, a blur of shadow, and kills her. Before being able to scream, Machi and I head to opposite ends of the room and finish them off. The workers were not experienced with Nen, nor battle, which was clear, as they fumbled in order to avoid me.

    Within seconds, the room was littered in bodies and blood, and grabbing a mop, Franklin begins to wipe the floors. In a few minutes, the bodies were piled inside a storage closet, and our group had successfully infiltrated the auction. From an overcast speaker, a rather enthusiastic, male voice, says,

    "Ladies and gentlemen, the auction will begin in five minutes." The lights from behind the red curtains dim. "Please take your seats, silence your cell phones, and enjoy the presentation."

    From backstage, shelves of items are neatly arranged and lined according to price, rarity, and presentation times. Lists were posted on the shelves for the items to be presented in chronological order. I walk to the first item, and pick it up from the shelf. It is a large, floral print vase, and its ceramic is cool to the touch.

    Turning to the Spiders, I ask, "So, I just present this and we'll get it over with?" The others nod in response, and music from outside begins to play from the speakers.

    "It is now time, ladies and gentlemen," the man's voice says. At that cue, I wave at Franklin, who follows me to the stage. As I walk, the man continues to speak, "Presenting our first item, the Kakin Vase!"

    Stepping under the overwhelmingly bright lights of the stage, the audience begins to clap politely. Franklin follows behind me, and stays near the back of the stage. In view, however he doesn't interfere with the presentation.

    Speaking the words that I'd just read from memory backstage, I present, "The Kakin Vase is a prized possession of the city's original royalty. Throughout the many years of the Kakin Dynasty, this vase was continuously handed down throughout generations, making it the oldest relic of any known continent. Not a single item has lasted this long, and due to that, the Kakin Vase's starting price is ten hun-"

    As discussed before, my code word to Franklin was 'ten' in that time, he would massacre the attendees inside the building, and the other Spiders that had been left backstage would take care of the mafia that were positioned along and outside the building.

    My Nen flickers around me, and I glance over to Franklin, to see his Nen ability. His fingers were cut off, connected by chains to presume the image of a normal hand, under, he uses his skills as an Emitter to release bullets. A powerful Hatsu, as expected as one of the Spiders.

    The people in the auction die rather quickly, and their shrill screams and shrieks-

    It's all she can hear. Why is it that the only sound she can hear are screams, shrieks, and the fading heartbeats? What a strange sound, the sound of death. She cannot tell if the sounds come from those being slaughtered around her, or her herself.

    The dull ringing in my head aches, but within a few seconds, there is nothing but tranquility, and silence. The gunshots stopped, and all there was to greet me was the bodies of many, and the possessions of riches from behind the stage curtain.

    With a push, the doors that led into the main stage of the auction swing open, and the other Spiders walk in, some bloodstained, some not. Phinks tosses bags towards Franklin and I, and with a sigh, I head back behind the curtain and begin to bag the items from the auction.

    Throughout all of the heist, the longest part by far was the packaging of the items. Chrollo was not incorrect in saying that there would be more, as well as more expensive items in the auction this year. However, eliminating targets and bypassing the mafia had taken mere seconds.

    My hands grip glass containers and metal cylinders that hold precious objects, as I toss them into bags. After the shelves had been cleared, Phinks lifts the bags from the ground, and swings them over his shoulder. The rest of us follow his image, and walk out from the back passage, and into the parking lot.

    After changing, and placing the bags into the truck of our limousine, we arrive back at the dock. Upon our return, the sun begins to rise from behind the waves.

Author's note: And that is the end of the auction section, which was kind of short, but to be honest, really fun to write. I hope you liked it, and if you did, please vote for this chapter!
~Amorevolous