VII. The Ninth

Chrollo's aura flickered around his figure, as he smirked tauntingly, his fingers grasped around the brown book. I activate my Shu, and focus my Nen around my Ben's blades held tightly in both my hands. Slowing my breathing to halt my racing heartbeat, I lower into a stable position and await his first attack.

    Lifting a brow, Chrollo asks, "You're not going to attack first, (y/n)?" He shrugs to Nobunaga who has a stoic expression on his face and says, "Spiders attack first, don't they, Nobunaga?"

    At his question, Nobunaga doesn't reply. The rest of the Spiders continue to watch our battle in interest, as they sit upon the concrete ground and lean their backs against the grey walls. The moon is dim, and faint rays of pink have stained the sky. In the greater amount of light, I can see more clearly, however it doesn't regain my lost strength.

    The suspended handkerchief that was conjured from the book lashes at me with great speed. I spring into the air, and push off my right heel, as I close in the distance between myself and Chrollo. In the air, I hurl at him a Ben's blade, and see the steel shine as it aims to kill.

    Chrollo merely tilts his head to the side, and the dagger lands in the wall, completely submerged in the concrete as the leather hilt is the only visible part of it. His eyes drift to the knife in the wall as he chuckles and says,

    "Tricks are futile, (y/n), and-" His eyes suddenly widen as I smile. Distracted by an attack that he declared desperate, Chrollo took his eyes off me, and allowed me to fully close in on him. I swing my leg in the air, and flames appear from my movements, and Chrollo pauses in momentary shock. He barely manages to duck, however gains damage from my attack.

    Sliding on the ground, he is knocked backwards against a wall from where he last sat. A trickle of blood appears from his mouth, and his lips are slightly parted. I step towards the wall, and kneel before him, pressing my second blade against his skin.

    Triumphant, I ask, "What is it you wished to say?"

    A sudden flutter of sound flashes through my senses, and I roll backwards, away from Chrollo as his handkerchief appears once more. It hits against my former position, and I narrow my eyes.

    Chrollo has no weapon upon his body other than his Ben's blades, and the conjured handkerchief, however if he were a Conjurer, I would have been able to see it using Gyo. The aura is faint over my eyes, however there are no other objects on him, concluding my theories of him being a Specialist.

    In his left hand, his book is still open, a sketch of ink showing an image of a piece of fabric. And suddenly, images flash towards me, where his book is open at the arrival of his handkerchief. I sigh in frustration, focusing my attention onto the book.

    Close the book, I think to myself. Close the book, and the fight is over.

    Across the room, Chrollo weakly manages to stand, as he continues to attack with the handkerchief. Though I am unaware of the abilities that the fabric possesses, I cannot risk finding out, therefore I continue to evade his attacks, and begin to once again close the distance between us.

    Chrollo's handkerchief was most likely conjured in order to put space between us, as my attacks are mostly short distanced. However, in order to further counterattack, Chrollo is armed with Ben's blades that specialize in short distance as well, meaning that this battle was futile. However, my experience in battle and Nen has most likely allowed me to continue to fight.

    I lean forward and run towards him, my heels tapping lightly against the floors, as he swings the fabric towards me. As the flash of white is made noticeable, I jump, and flip through the air, running my blade against his right hand. However, he twists his hand while I do so, and my blade jaggedly goes along with his movement.

    Swiftly catching the book with his other hand, Chrollo notes, "So, you've realized about the book?" he muses. His voice is deeper than the emptiness of his eyes, as he turns towards me and holds his hand up. On his skin is a wave shaped wound, bleeding freely, and relentlessly.

    "Ah, it seems you've injured me," Chrollo says. "Alas, our battle must continue, so I shall take it upon myself to end this shortly."

    The woman's eyes are wide with unmistakeable fear. She retreats backwards until her back is stopped upon a wall. In front of her, the man continues to walk, and though his face is obscured by the moonlight, the hidden girl knows what he is.

    He is a monster.

    "Not to worry, I shall take it upon myself to end this shortly," the man soothes the shaking woman, and she breathes her last breath.

    "I should hope not," I reply smoothly. "This has been a rather fun affair." I smile sweetly, and lunge towards him, my flames flickering about him, though he dodges swiftly.

    Chrollo smiles, and says, "I hope that wasn't your best attempt, (y/n), because-"

    The explosion is set from his back, and the smell of gunpowder and ash fills the room, dominating the reek of rainwater and mud. Though small, the explosion is enough to surprise him, as I slip away the book from between his fingers.

    As he lands, he coughs, and clouds of grey smoke dissipate from around him. Raising his eyes to mine, faint amusement sparkles in his once empty eyes, as he sees the book in my hands. I twirl it around, mocking him, and begin to approach him. Kneeling once again before him, I say,

    "I win."

    And the Snake became the ninth Spider.

    Author's note: Hey everyone! Again, I hope you enjoyed this chapter :)) I want to clarify some things about this story: 1) I know it may not seem so yet, but this is a fanfic of (y/n) and Chrollo. and 2) This is a slow burn! Nothing will be happening too fast, just to keep it realistic!
Again, please remember to vote for this chapter if you enjoyed it, and I'll see you all next time! Feel free to comment!
~Amorevolous