XVIII. The Return

Mizaistom unleashes a frenzy of attacks. Each is full of strength and precision, dodged and aimed in areas of weakness. I parry his punches and kicks, my movements are made of muscle memory.

Below us, the building begins to shake, and dust flutters down from the roof. In momentary confusion, we pause and examine our surroundings. The framed images that line the hall weakly shake, and potted plants slide from one end to the other.

In mutual understanding, we rush towards the end of the hall, running until we reach the large window that is positioned at the end of each hall on each floor. Peering down to the ground, there is nothing to be found but ruins of what used to be the lobby.

    Another explosion is set off, and once again the building begins to shake, crumbling along with the weakened foundation. From the height that we're at, the sounds of screams and terror are able to be heard over the bombs. Blurs of Hunters are visible through the parting clouds of smoke and dust, running and scrambling to avoid damage.

    Beside me, I hear Mizaistom sharply inhale as he surveys the battered lobby. Though I don't look at him, in my peripheral vision, I see him glance towards me, though he says nothing.

    Five minutes. The glaring sunlight shone on my face, only a few positions higher than before. Saccho's estimation had been correct, as I'd expected. Though the Troupe was not there, it was clearly their work.

    It is then that Mizaistom turns around to me entirely, facing me with certainty in his actions and thoughts. His face is barely readable, hints of confidence and assertion flicker. I step to my left, adding distance between us, just as he lunges towards me.

    Though Mizaistom is a well known man for his bravery and sense of justice, he only ever seems self-assured when he is in battle. When I'd first noticed, it intrigued me that such a man who spoke highly of nobility was a mere slaughter machine himself. It was through these former notices of his emotions that I'd been able to predict his thoughts.

    His right arm pulls back just slightly past his shoulder. A feint. I twist my body as his left leg swings to where my core once was, a motion powerful enough to tear a man's body apart.

    Reading and predicting attacks comes easily, and is even entertaining, only if barely so. Though neither I nor Mizaistom have landed an attack on the other yet, neither of us are frustrated. His eyes narrow in focus, and not a hint of anger is shown on his face.

    A faint, distant sound of footsteps alerts me, and I frown. Glancing once again at Mizaistom's face, I see no recognition of the interceptor. Judging from the muffled sounds of their feet, the person is about thirty feet away, and is singular, most likely a man due to the weight and size of their feet.

    However, his footsteps get quieter as his location shortens the length between himself and Mizaistom and I. It is clear then that this man has been sent to find me and Mizaistom. Again, I look at Mizaistom who shows no understanding of the third party.

    My jaw clenches. Mizaistom is most likely behind this third person, as it is clear that he would have sensed their approach by now, as the distance between us is no more than fifteen feet.

    Ken and In begin to flow around me, and I feel the existence of my aura flicker and fade. Mizaistom narrows his brows, but does not mention anything of my actions. Though the hidden man is only about ten feet away now, I'm depending on the fact that they do not know of me, nor of my appearance. That way, I would be able to buy time in order to measure their skill level before apprehension.

    My heart rate surges suddenly as I manage to dodge another attack from Mizaistom. His fighting has sped up, and the strength that he uses has gained volume. Eyes widening, I begin to focus, however it is difficult to keep constant attention on him with another threat coming from behind.

    Lithe, yet muscular arms wrap around my waist, and I choke as I inhale a gasp of breath. My vision begins to blur and the world spins, turning grey. Straining to focus on the threat at hand, I move my arms backward to lock around the person's neck. His grip around me loosens slightly, and I use that opportunity to swing his body over me, and with that momentum, I pin him down to the ground.

    Saiyu, the monkey Zodiac and martial artist known for his combat skills, lies on the ground before me. During the few seconds of his interception, Mizaistom had ceased to attack, and he shows feinted surprise.

    "You and your tricks, (y/n)," Saiyu croaks from the ground, and he smiles from amusement.

    "Thank you," I reply, unsure of how to respond to begin with. However, his feat had not been anticipated, and if he'd remembered to disable the usage of my arms as well, I would have been easily taken down. It was a stroke of luck and perhaps his ignorance that allowed me to pin him down instead.

    "Get up, Saiyu," Mizaistom orders, to which Saiyu sighs and begins to stand. The two men approach me, and seeing how I'm outnumbered and outmaneuvered, I realize that my only option is surrender. Two Zodiacs who are more powerful in brute strength, against me who had been confined and stripped of my weapons? It is clear who the victor would be.

    My neck snaps up in surprise, though it is undetected by Saiyu and Mizaistom. They continue to follow me down the hall, though it seems as though Mizaistom is not amused. However, I hear another set of footsteps, approaching us. The person is much more agile than Saiyu, and his presence is easily masked and barely detectable. It is most likely due to my specialization that I'm able to hear this person at all.

    Judging from their location and pace, they will appear behind me within seconds, as they are only ten feet away. My back suddenly hits a large window at the end of the main hallway. To my right is nothing but the wall of the hallway, and to my left is a branch from the hallway that leads to another room and a staircase that comes directly from the lobby.

    I am currently on the sixth floor, the floor directly above the meeting rooms and the floor I'd been assigned in my task with the Troupe. On this floor was my confinement cell, as well as other rooms that were specifically organized for medical supplies and activities. Due to the needed usage of the tools on this floor, there is a small staircase that leads directly from the lobby that many employees and Hunters use.

    The extra fourth person is ascending these stairs rather quickly, and-

    Metal hinges creak open, as the grey door that leads into the staircase opens. And there, standing between the doorframe is none other than Chrollo Lucilfer.

Author's note: 900 reads! Thank you so much for your support! Don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter! I'll see you again soon ;))
~Amorevolous