V. The Test

The hideout is an abandoned building of vandalism and darkness. The walls and ground are made of concrete, as this was most likely a former parking area. The smell of puddles and rainwater wafts through the air as I walk closer into the center of the building, as Machi and Nobunaga flank me.

In this building are three other Spiders, a malicious aura surrounds them as they await Machi and Nobunaga. Their stares drag along us, and an unsettling feeling creeps onto me.

Sitting against a wall is a girl, her knees are propped up, and her wide eyes follow me. Short, jet black hair strays around her petite face. A pair of large, black glasses frame her unreadable eyes. She wears a long sleeved, black turtle neck with a golden chain hanging from her neck. In the dim light, the upside-down cross on her chest sparkles. The girl wears jeans of blue denim, and on her feet are large, teal shoes.

    Despite her innocent expression, I know who she is. Shizuku Murasaki, thief, and one of the thirteen Spiders.

    Sitting opposite of the room from her, is a rather large man, with scars adorned on his skin. He has ruffled, short hair and a rugged jawline. His earlobes are inhumanely long, and gold hoops dangle from the ends. The man wears a pair of blue, denim overalls, with a long sleeved, white shirt underneath. On his feet are thick, brown shoes.

    Franklin Bordeaux. A sinister man, whose physical identity makes it more well known.

    And in the center of the room sits another man, a book held in between his nimble fingers. His midnight hair is slicked back, and on his ears are turquoise orbs.

The man knelt before the corpse, his midnight hair is slicked back. Turquoise orbs twinkled on his ears.

He wears a fur-collared leather coat that trails down low, and is unbuttoned, revealing his muscular body.

His fur-collared leather coat trailed down, a large cross blazed on his back.

His black pants have bandages wrapped around the bottom half of his legs, and on his shoes are golden crosses. On his forehead is a tattooed cross, a pleasant smile rests on his attractive face.

A pleasant smile is rested on his attractive face, as he stood up from the corpse. The mangled female laid on the concrete, a puddle of crimson blood growing around her. A bit of blood has trickled out the side of her mouth.

    Around me, Machi and Nobunaga stop walking. I pause alongside them, and stand before this man, whose eyes lift from the pages in his hand. He places the book down gently beside him, and looks at us from a pile of rubble. I feel his gaze rest on me, his grey eyes search for something of interest.

    Nobunaga clears his throat, "Chrollo, this is (y/n)," he says blandly as he points his thumb towards me. "I was thinking that we could recruit her? She can be useful."

    Chrollo doesn't reply, his eyes stay on me. Beside him, Shizuku and Franklin don't speak, they keep their distance and watch the exchange carefully. I expect that the Spiders have a system to avoid internal conflict within the Phantom Troupe, an unlikely scenario, however a possibility nonetheless.

I keep myself poised, nonchalant before the leader of the Spiders. Chrollo Lucilfer sits before me, tendrils of his aura flicker about the room. Though the room is silent, a melody of souls scream in terror before him. I clench my jaw, and wonder if I will join.

My eyes are glowered as I continue to meet his eyes. He tilts his head in return and leans forward from his position, and his fingers lace together.

"What does she do?" His melodic voice asks lightly. I raise a brow, noticing that he didn't acknowledge me, rather the Spiders that attend to him. After all, he is the Head of the Spiders.