Chapter 11: Raspy Eyes.

Eliese relished in the silence of the house, but at the same time it made her bones restless and her heart ache. It was too quiet, even with Matty at home it was too quiet. The rustle of the stressful holidays were over, Emily was happy to have gotten the things she got from Santa. They spent the holidays together, Matty was pronounced Emily’s stepdad and that made them both happy. They went to dinner at Matty’s mom’s house, Eliese’s mom was there to help cook. Both Matty and Eliese are only children so it was only the five of them eating; the day before they went to Matty’s dad’s house for dinner and to open so gifts. It was that day that she realized exactly how much Emily needed a father figure in her life; Nathan was obviously not going to do anything about it. Andrew was right, Emily was going to be messed up in the head without a father figure which made Eliese see exactly how well the three of them fit together as a family. It was one messed up family but they fit. Sometimes the weirdest shaped pieces of the puzzle fit together to make the prettiest picture.

They let Emily go to a friend’s house for New Year’s Eve, Matty and Eliese were excited that Emily made a friend from music class. She spent the night there while Eliese and Matty went to Dylan’s for a party. After the holidays were over Emily went back to School and began to make some friends who’d actually stick up for her against the bullies who made fun of her. That thought made Eliese’s heart swell with happiness. Everyone deserves at least one friend.

Emily was happy to find out she was going to be spending the next couple of months at her grandma’s house; Emily even agreed that Eliese needed a break from California. Going on tour was good for everyone, it gave Eliese’s co-workers a chance to get some request clients and earn their living, it gave Emily some time to learn to grow without her mother’s helping hand there to catch her if she falls, the band was excited to have a new roadie/merch girl, and it give Eliese and Matty some time to go through the ‘honeymoon phase’ of dating. Matty is excited about that, he hasn’t had one-on-one time with his best friend since Emily was born ten years ago. He misses being able to stay up all night and not say a single word to Eliese, but they both know what the other has to say. Eliese is excited to be able to get away from all of the drama.

“Are you all packed?” Matty asked coming into the bedroom with some articles of clothing draped over his shoulder. Eliese looked up from her suitcase and smiled wearily.

“Yeah, almost done.” She replied softly. Eliese was eager to get the hell out of California, but she wasn’t eager to be on a long plane ride with Aron. The guys were on their way to Soundwave in Australia. Eliese hasn’t ever left the West Coast before. The furthest inland she’s been was Arizona when she went to visit her grandparents on the reserve.

“You don’t have to rush; we don’t leave for another nine hours.” Matty commented on the fact that Eliese was rushing to get everything packed and put into her suitcase. Eliese looked up from the small mountains of clothes lying in the innards of her suitcase and blinked at the tall man who was messily tossing shirts and jeans into his suitcase. It bugged Eliese how careless Matty was with how he packed his bag. Even though they’re only going to Australia for a couple of days before coming back to California for a couple more days until they go away on tour in Europe and Canada, Eliese wanted him to pack mindfully. Like she was, lots of summery clothes but still some warm clothes for chillier days; lots of deodorant and body washes as well as feminine products that might be needed just in case.

Which reminded her she was due soon, so was Emily. Eliese was ten years old when puberty hit. ‘Ha-ha, Matty has absolutely no idea what he got himself into.’ Eliese mentally cackled at her boyfriend’s obliviousness. ‘The poor sucker.’

Eliese closed the top of her suitcase and zipped it up, placing the lock on the zipper as well. She mindfully watched as Matty merely tossed clothes into the bag without any thought whatsoever. Matty knew how anal Eliese was about tidiness and organization; ever since Emily was born she’s been this way. Sometimes he’d get a good laugh out of her OCD ways. For example: now. Right now Matty could see Eliese eyeing him up like a cat stalking an open can of tuna fish. Except this can of tuna fish can be resealed, how long can this cat withstand temptation before jumping onto that can of tuna? Does this cat know that it can be resealed and fixed easily? Does it know that there is a puppeteer waiting to seal it back up the same exact moment it jumps at the can of tuna fish?