15 || Closure

The soreness of my body was the first thing that I noticed when I came to be.

I open my eyes slowly, blinking a lot until my eyes adjust to the bright light.

I groan in pain when I try to raise my right arm so I could shield the light.

"Hey, ease there." I hear a familiar voice say.

I turn to the voice, and I would have moved if he had gotten up and held me back.

"Carson?" What? How? When did he get here?

"Hey baby, you gave us quite a scare." he says with a soft smile, sitting in the bed right next to my hip, his hand holding mine.

"You're here." I say feeling the tears starting to appear. "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..."

"Hey, it's okay. You're okay." he says gently placing me in his arms so he could comfort me.

I just let myself cry all over his shirt. He doesn't complain, he simply lets me cry my heart's desire until there are no more tears left.

"I was...I was so scared." I hiccup, taking in deep breaths to calm myself, taking the time to enjoy his natural scent.

"I know, but you're safe now. You both are." he says rubbing my back.

"Both?" Surely he didn't mean..."My dad?"

"Already flirting will all the nurses." he jokes "But I wasn't talking about him." As if to prove it, he gently places his hand on my belly.

My heart skips a beat. So he knew...

"Are you mad?" I ask him trying to get a sense of how he felt about this.

"Am I mad? Yes, but not at you. Never at you, although we are going to have a very serious conversation about keeping secrets, young lady." he says sternly.

I actually have the decency to blush.

"It's not like I knew for long. I just found out a few days ago, I think...what day it is? How long have I been here?"

"You came here Thursday night and now it's Saturday afternoon." he tells me "Longest three days of my life."

"How are you here? I thought you were in Cairo?"

"I was, but we received a lead about the identity of our suspect..."

"Jasper?"

"Yes. Only he wasn't working alone." he tells me surprising me.

"He wasn't?"

"Have you ever heard of Jessica Mendes?"

"I... yes, she was a part of my team in Cairo. You met her, didn't you?"

"Yes. Apparently she is the girlfriend of Jasper Segnod, they met two years ago, and last year she was employed by your company. We found evidence that they have been planning this for that long."

"Jessica? But she was so nice..."

"Nice in the eyes of the public, yes. But when we dug dipper we found that she changed her name. Her real name is Vera Haston, she has a record for robbery and prostitution, and from what we gather a very expensive way of life."

"And when Jasper told her he was the bastard son of the mighty rich Hendrix CEO; she was all on board to cashing in that big check." I concluded.

"Precisely. She stayed in Cairo, so not to raise suspicion. We brought her in for questioning and she spilled the beans, told us all about Jasper's plan and how they had a plan to meet up once he got the money."