Chapter 10

The Gladers were all having dinner together in the kitchen. They were mostly drained from energy because of the weather. They all only wondered when things would get back to normal again. Y/N grabbed her plate last and sat down with Newt, Thomas. Chuck and Minho. They all looked really tired.

"Hey there." Minho said greeting the girl.
"Oh boy do you look tired." she answered slightly smiling. "How are you feeling?"
"I'm okay. Just need a day off from running in this shucking heat. It's literally going to kill me!" he said grabbing a bite of his food.
"He's right. We need a break from the maze. It's even became exhausting to work in the map room at night." Thomas added.
"Well I'm going back tomorrow. You guys could take the day off." Y/N offered them.

The two runners looked up to the girl like she said something absolutely crazy. Newt turned his head around to face her and said;

"You can't go in the maze alone. It's too dangerous. And we don't know if its schedule is normal or not. You need someone in there with you."
"I'll be okay! The most dangerous thing would be to send them in the maze for another day Newt. They need a break." she answered the blonde.
"Hey I appreciate what you want to do but Newt is right, you can't go in there alone." Minho interrupted before eating more.
"I'll talk with Alby. He could come with me while you two have a day off."

She insisted and the runners finally accepted her offer only if Alby would go with her. Newt was never happy about her being in the maze but at least she would have someone with her. Y/N left the table to go over to Alby without even finishing her meal; she said she would be back in a few minutes.

"Newt?" Chuck asked breaking his silence once the girl left.
"Yeah what's up?" Newt responded.
"Was Y/N wearing one of your shirts just now?" he asked a little confused.

Thomas and Minho looked up to find Y/N, now talking with Alby at the other end of the kitchen. They noticed she was in fact wearing Newt's shirt.

"You girls are swapping clothes now?" Minho said laughing. He got kicked in the leg by Thomas under the table.

"Why did you give her a shirt?" Thomas asked ignoring Minho's fake in-pain face.
"She needed something else to wear. She's the one that asked me! What was I going to say?" Newt said defending himself.

Minho and Thomas both looked at each other and then smiled directly looking in Newt's eyes.

"You guys are totally going to end up together." Minho said causally.
"Huh? Newt and Y/N?" Chuck raised his voice surprised. Him being younger didn't really knew what was happening.
"Guys c'mon we already talked about this." Newt said widening his eyes, meaning for the two boys to stop messing around. He didn't want anyone to find out.

"Yeah we talked about it. And you told us all what we need to know. All you're missing is her perspective." Thomas said with a cocky smile on his face.
"I know, but I just don't want to ask her anything, if she-"
"You know she talked about it with me huh?" Thomas said cutting off Newt.

Newt's heart stopped. Had Thomas told Y/N about how Newt felt towards her. Had he broken his trust? His heart started beating faster and faster until he said;

"What do you mean she talked to you? Did you tell her what I said the other day?"
"No, I'm not an idiot!" Thomas said almost offended. "We talked back in my first days here. I could see that you two were very close so I asked her some questions and she just answered."
"And you didn't feel like telling us all that the other night when he spilled his whole heart on the table?" Minho asked Thomas almost like he was talking to a child.

"Well I kinda forgot.. At least I'm saying it now!" Thomas said.
"Well what did she say?" Newt asked nervously.
"Well she didn't answer my questions too specifically. I asked if you two were a thing and she said that nothing like it could ever happen in here. Then I asked what would happen if she wasn't stuck here and all she did was remind me that we were in fact in here and that I needed to stop imagining that we weren't. So technically..."
"Technically she did it answer you at all." Minho said gently slapping Thomas' head.
"I mean it's still something! Now we know that she might like Newt or not!"
"Dude we knew that before." Chuck said catching up to the conversation.

His intervention made the boys laugh while Y/N came back to the table to sit between Newt and Chuck again.

"It's official!" she said happily. "You two are having a day off. Alby will cover and run with me tomorrow."
"Thank you shebean. Means a lot." Minho said thankfully.
"Yeah thank you. I'll take advantage of a good off day to sleep in tomorrow!" Thomas said laughing.
"So what did I miss?" she asked taking a small bite of her food.
"Oh the boys were talking about how Newt really likes-"
"Chuck!" Newt quickly cut the little boy off.

All eyes were laid on Newt. Chuck looked confused, Minho and Thomas help in their laughs as Y/N looked curious.

"Newt really likes what?" she asked the boys.
Minho let out a laugh which made Thomas laugh as well.
"Oh nothing Y/N. Nothing at all. Maybe he'll tell you one day." Minho said as him and Thomas got up with their empty plates.
"Wow." she said sarcastically. "What nice friends you got.
"I know. They almost exposed me right there." Newt said laughing.

Chuck left a few minutes later leaving Newt and Y/N alone at their table. The other Gladers were all done eating so they were the last two in the kitchen. It was getting dark but they had a great conversation going. They exchanged some laughs and some memories for a while.

"Sometimes the Glade is a nice place." she said looking around. "I can find some comfort in it."
"Me too." Newt said grabbing her hand. His action was spontaneous and surprising but she only speeded his hand back.

"Hey thank you again Newt." Y/N said looking deep in his eyes. "For everything you've ever done for me, for keeping me alive-"
"Don't even go there love." Newt said cutting her off. "For all you know you're the reason I'm standing today. If somebody needs to thank someone it's me; thank you." he finished.

They locked their eyes together and it's like nothing was around them. They were in another world for a second; a world with only them in it, where nothing could get to them. They got a little closer together and as their bodies were inches away from each other a voice broke the moment, bringing the two back to reality.

"Hey there! Time to get out!" Frypan yelled from the other side of the kitchen. "It's getting late anyways."

Y/N and Newt immediately got up, stepping back from each other not sure what just happened or what would've happened if Frypan hadn't shown up. Frypan took off as Newt brushed his hand off on his pants.

"He's right. We should actually get to bed." Newt announced. "You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow." he said.
"Yeah you're right. Let's go." she said walking with him to they hammocks.

Most of the Gladers were asleep or going to sleep. Everybody was tired and only wanted one thing; rest.

"You're okay for the night?" Newt asked the girl as she was about to step into her hammock.
"Yeah I think I'll be fine. Thanks again for the shirt; maybe I'll sleep better with this." she finished laughing.
"If anything happens, and I mean anything... You wake me up immediately alright?" Newt said seriously walking towards the girl.
"I promise. Have a good night Newt." she said in a sweet calm voice.
"Goodnight love." Newt said as he pressed a soft long kiss on her forehead. He then turned and got himself in his hammock.

"Holy shuck. What just happened? Why did he kiss my forehead? Was I supposed to say something? Do something else? And these shucking butterflies in my stomach were at it ALL DAY! Oh God why do I have to be so stupid!" Y/N thought to herself as she was trying to figure out what a bizarre day she just had.

"Why did I just do that? First I look like an idiot to her all day and then this? What if she's totally not into me and now she just thinks that I'm another weird Glader that only likes her because she's the only girl. Get a grip dude!" Newt grounded himself as he was trying to find sleep. He cursed himself for being so weird and spontaneous with her all day. He just hoped she didn't feel too weird about it. He had the intention of talking to her the next morning.