Chapter 6

"Hey lovebirds!" Thomas said waking up the pair. They had surprisingly slept really well in that hammock, squeezed together. "Time to wake up."

Y/N for once, didn't feel like getting out of bed. She always liked to be the first one up but this morning, she wanted to stay with Newt. She had to admit that her affection for the boy was growing more and more every day... She surprisingly quite enjoyed spending the night in his arms. She got that thought out of her head and turned her body to face Newt. She found him adorable even if he was asleep. His blonde hair was all over the place and his face looked so peaceful. She never really paid attention to him that way. "Why am I thinking all this?" she thought to herself.

"Good morning there." she said quietly.
"Hmh..." Newt hummed. He wasn't quite awake yet. His eyes were still closed and his body was still half asleep. He also didn't want to get up.
"We gotta get up now." Y/N said without wanting to.
"Hmh..." Newt hummed again.

Y/N got out of the hammock and Newt immediately opened his eyes.

"Nooo why did you leave?" he asked tending his arm towards her.
"Because we need to get up silly." she answered laughing. "I don't want to get in more trouble for sleeping late! Let's just go eat alright?"
"Alright alright." the blonde answered while getting out of his hammock. He stretched his arms up towards the sky and his shirt lifted a little, which gave Y/N an unexpected feeling in her stomach; kind of like butterflies. She'd never felt anything like it.

"Oh God, what's happening with me?" she thought to herself.

She interrupted her own thoughts and came to a realization; she likes Newt. She had a crush on him. For the last few weeks so many things have changed in the Glade; and so did her relationship with Newt. She knew it in the bottom of her heart for a while that she had feelings for him but didn't want to admit it. Now, she had to hide her secret from everybody. Like she told Thomas, nothing like a romantic relationship can work in the Glade. She was also certain that Newt didn't share mutual feelings. They were too good of friends to ruin their special connection.

The two were slowly walking together to the kitchen. They could smell something good coming from there which awoke them even more. Y/N though, suddenly stopped walking and reached down for her toes. She was touching every single one of her toes, looking stunned.

"What are you doing love?" Newt asked laughing. Her position was kind of funny looking.
"I'm not cold." she said in shock. "My toes aren't frozen! And my fingers aren't pale like they are every morning."
"And that's bad because...?" Newt answered back.
"I'm always cold in the morning. Always. Even when it's this time of the day my toes are still defrosting from the cold temperature of the night. But this morning I'm not cold. It's actually quite hot for this time of the day."
"I had no idea you felt cold like that every night, you should've told me." Newt said to the girl's concerned face. She looked troubled by the temperature.
"You know what, it is kind of hot right now. As if it was the middle of the afternoon instead of early morning." Newt admitted.
"This isn't normal." the girl said looking up at the sun. "Can you find Alby, tell him to meet me in the Gathering room?" she asked.
"Of course." he answered marking his way to find Alby.

*An hour later*
"Thank you for devoting your time to this emergency meeting! We hope not to make a habit of these." Alby said concluding the emergency meeting he called some time ago.

After Y/N had explained to him her concern about the radical change of temperature, he had to call in an emergency meeting. It worried him too because the temperature never changes this much in the Glade. The more that it changes in when it rains... The Gladers weren't familiar with this much warmth in the morning; what if it gets worse as the day goes? They had an old thermometer that got sent over a year ago. They never really used it because the only time it got really warm was around sunset, and it didn't last for long. But this morning, after setting it outside it indicated 27 degrees Celsius. In the meeting, Alby explained to everybody how the weather had drastically changed overnight and that the Gladers will need to adapt. They don't know for how long it will last, but they needed to get ready for it.