Chapter 5

~Narrator's pov~

"All right, everything is settled." concluded Alby at the end of the meeting. "Thank you all for waking up early for this gathering. Now, go on with your day as scheduled."

The Gladers made their way back to either the hammocks, the kitchen or their job emplacements. They were all so tired and wanted some rest, but they had to do their jobs. Newt approached Y/N as she was leaving the room.

"I thought your punishment was going to be worse love." Newt confessed. "You got bloody lucky right there."
"I know!" she said sounding thankful. "A week of extra chores doesn't sound too bad for what I've done..."
"Let's go eat something okay? Today will be a different day." Newt said while making his way towards the kitchen with the girl.

Earlier in the meeting, other than announcing Y/N punishment, Alby declared that the maze wasn't safe to explore for a little while. After all, the walls did close at an unexpected time... What if something else happens, something worse? Alby then decided to give the runners a week of rest but meanwhile, they need to figure out what's happening with the Glade: more specifically, trying to prevent more unusual events. The runners gladly took the opportunity to have a break and to properly recover from their injuries. So for a week, they got assigned to other jobs. Minho is still severely injured so he works partially as a Slicer and Y/N is back being a medjack.

Y/N and Newt made their way in the crowded kitchen and served themselves before sitting down with Thomas, Frypan and Minho.

"Alby was nice to you in there shebean." Minho started as soon as the pair sat down. "I feel like he only gave you a week of extra work because you're his favourite."
"Well I will gladly take the favouritism to my advantage then." she answered making the boys laugh.
"We haven't had a proper introduction." Thomas said tending his hand to shake hers. "I'm Thomas. Just arrived yesterday."
"Welcome among us." she answered shaking his hand. "Kind of hoped you'd meet me in better condition but it is what it is."
"It's completely fine. Just glad you're okay." Thomas said. He then looked at the maze doors. He was still curious to know what was in there. He wanted to explore the maze so badly.
"How do you find this place so far?" Newt asked Thomas.
"I don't know...  I'm not exactly enjoying myself you know? But I just have this big envy of knowing what's beyond those walls." Thomas answered pointing at the walls of the maze.
"You're crazy man. Nobody wants to be even near the walls, and you wanna be in it? You got issues brother." Frypan said.
"Well I just want to do my part; help find a way out of here." Thomas answered very seriously.
The boys laughed at his answer.
"I've been running the corridors for months; there's nothing fun about it. Not only is it the most dangerous job here, it's the most stressful. I'm not sure anyone wants to be under that kind of stress constantly." Minho concluded mouthful.

The boys kept on making small talk about the maze. Y/N wasn't talking with them. She was observing Thomas. He was staring at the maze most of the time, when he wasn't asking questions about it. It was the first time somebody actually wanted to know more about the maze. He was different.

"You alright love?" Newt whispered to Y/N ear as the boys continued their conversation. "You haven't eaten since yesterday."
"I'm alright. Just not that hungry I guess." she answered looking at her full plate.
"Please eat a little something. And before you say anything, I insist. You need energy and strength for today."

She looked at Newt's concerned face and decided to eat a little bit. She really wasn't feeling hungry but she knew Newt wouldn't leave it alone. The group kept on having a conversation and exchanged a few laughs before having to go to their work stations.

Y/N headed to the medjack tent and had a few people come to her with minor injuries. Nothing too hard to treat. She did a little bit of organization and she put some medication in inventory. She went to visit Newt quite often. He was working in the gardens, as usual. He's always very focused on his task. She likes observing him work. Sometimes he would look up and see her staring at him. He'd slightly blush and laugh it out. He liked having her around like he used to before she was a runner. He didn't feel as worried for her when she was close to him; he liked that feeling. The day passed by, the Gladers started to finish their jobs. Newt was finally done so he went to the medjack tent to have a talk with the girl. He got closer and took a second to notice her beauty. Even in this hellish place, she looked so beautiful.