Chapter Nine: A Red Rose

"You helped with the party, so you deserve to go first!!!" She shoved the hat at you, not really giving you a choice on the matter. Nervously, you put your hand in it, searching for something to just grab. You wanted this done and over with. A soft, velvety-like substance brushed over the tips of your fingertips, causing you to pause. Curiosity getting control, your fingers grasp hold of the item gently, being careful as to not crush whatever it was, and lifted it out. Uncurling your fingers slightly, a small petal appeared; a deep swirl of red and orange red. A delicate flower sat in your palm, a dwarf trapped in a huge cave. A squeal filled the whole office. "Aw that's too ca-uta!"

Looking up, you saw Matsumoto grinning a Cheshire grin.

A wave of worry washed over you as she pushed you harshly into the closet. Landing face first, you groaned, lifting yourself up onto your knees. Only to be knocked down again as something rammed into your back.

"Ack!" Before you do another face plant to the ground, your hands rushed in front to meet the hardware flooring. The extra weight on your back vanished, and kind hands helped you up, a frantic voice joining the darkness of the closet.

"I'm so sorry! So sorry ___________!" You recognized the nervousness of that voice.

"Izuru?"

"Um, y-yeah?"

"Stop apologizing."

"Oh, u-uh, r-right..." You both sat on the ground, backs against the cool wall. An awkward silence fell between you two, and not the good awkward. You shifted uncomfortably, trying to think of something to say. Closing your eyes, you sighed, knowing that since he was nervous, he wouldn't try anything. The bad thing was, you were nervous, too. You and Izuru went back to your Shinōreijutsuin days. The two of you have been great friends since the first day you met. You had been wondering around, deep in thought, not watching where you were going...

A crunch of a twig caused you to stop and look down at the ground. A small branch lay in two under your foot.

"Wh-Who's there...?" A timid voice came from ahead of you. You looked up to see a boy several feet away from you. He had blonde hair and blue eyes. He was staring at you, scared written on his face.

"I'm __________." You smiled at him. "What about you?"

"I-Izuru." He seemed to relax a little, knowing your name.

"So, do you know where we are?" You asked, walking up to him. "I wasn't paying attention..." You trailed off. In front of him was something like a burial marker, in his hand a small bouquet of flowers. "Oh, I'm s-sorry...I guess I...I should go and leave you alone." You turned to walk away, but he grabbed your hand.

"No, it's okay! Y-You can stay if you want. I don't mind."

"A-All right." You turned back around and watched as he placed the bouquet of flowers down. It consisted of tulips and daises. I love tulips, you said to yourself.

"You do?" He looked at you in surprise.

"Oh, uh, yeah..." You blushed slightly, realizing you said it aloud. He smiled.

"My mother did, too. That's why I lay them here."

"Is this your parents'...?"

"Yeah...I come here often to talk and pray for them." A small silence fell over you both. You remembered your parents very little, and you doubted they even had a burial marker. You'd never seen one before.

"Are you of nobility?" You asked suddenly.

"Hm? Um, yeah, but of lesser nobility. Why?" He was puzzled by the question.