Chapter 10

"What?" Regina replied, "We talked about Daniel, before-"

"Yes, I know. Before we knew who we were to each other. And the other day, when you gave me this." Both of them turned their heads towards the pearl hairclip Nila's father had given the queen so long ago.

Regina really didn't want to talk about it. "Well, since this has all sprung from my mother, perhaps we should go and talk to her. After all, she's the reason you're feeling this way."
"And yet you spent the majority of your life trying to murder Snow White? Doesn't quite add up."

The queen knew when she had to give in. "What do you want to know?" She asked, sighing as she stroked her daughter's head.

"How did you know you loved him? What made you so sure he was your soulmate?"

Regina chuckled, "Daniel was my escape. At that point in my life, I was alone. I was frightened of my mother; as I got older she wouldn't hesitate to use her magic to restrain me, or to punish me. And nothing my father said made things better."

"But how did you go from being friends to... more than that?"

Her mother pushed a loose strand of hair from her eyes and almost blushed slightly. "In the evenings when I wasn't locked in my room, I'd sneak out the window and go riding. I wasn't supposed to, and Daniel didn't find out for a few months, but when he did I was so terrified he'd tell my mother. He didn't. Instead, he offered to accompany me on some late-night rides, and sixteen-year-old me was hardly going to refuse the company."

Nila laughed, giving her mother a suggested look. "Was he handsome?" She asked, nudging the queen's shoulder. "Why don't you see for yourself?" Suddenly, the girl felt something appear in her lap. "It's a dreamcatcher," Regina explained, "It's usually used to capture memories. But I think you're powerful enough to conjure up an image of Daniel."

She nodded, and listened as her mother continued. "Just hold it up, and think of your father."

After a few seconds, the dreamcatcher seemed to glow with an orange light, and an image of a man appeared in the webbing. It was Daniel. He was tall, and had green eyes and dark blonde hair. "Woah." The girl whispered, "He kinda looks like me."

He did. She was the perfect mix of the two of them. And if, before giving birth, Regina could've designed her daughter's personality and features, Nila would've been exactly the same. She was perfect.

"Regina?" She tapped her mother's shoulder, "Are you okay?" The queen nodded and smiled, "I'm fine. I'm just tired, dear."

"Maybe we could have a sleepover?" Nila suggested, hopping off the balcony and sitting on her mother's bed. She watched as her mother sighed before giving in. "Fine."

The girl smiled and changed into a white nightdress, then hopped into her mother's silk bed sheets. It was just then that she heard Roland's voice from outside the door. He rushed in a few seconds later. "'Gina!" He cried, running towards the bed.

"Roland, you're going to stay with your father tonight, if that's okay with you?"

"I guess." He muttered, grabbing his father's arm. Robin walked towards the queen and placed a loving kiss on her forehead.

"Robin." She whispered, glancing back at her daughter who was flicking through Henry's book just across the room. "Goodnight, beautiful."

"Goodnight, Robin." She replied, returning the favour and quickly kissing him on the lips.

Nila lay in her mother's arms until she fell asleep, thinking about just how lucky she was to have all these people that loved her. 

*Author's note - They finally had the conversation! Hope you enjoyed! Remember to leave a vote and comment! 

Sarah xxx