Chapter 3

Your head was pounding, waves of dull pain was washing over your thoughts and stopped rational thinking.
Were you hungover?
You didn't remember drinking but then you don't really remember anything from last night.
"Ohhh, my head!"
You shuffle around a bit, trying to get into a more comfortable position on your bed but something tied around your wrists stopped you. A jump as cold metal touched more skin made your shoulder injury burst into pain once again. You silenced a shout before it exited your mouth.
Then you realised, you remembered. You weren't lying on a bed, cold and harsh wood from a table was beneath you instead. You must still be in that coffee shop.

Great.

The blackout must have lasted a few minutes as nobody was with you, trying to kidnap you. You slowly raised your head, bending at the neck, and looked straight ahead. The shattered shards of the large window you had crashed through still impaled the hole you had left behind. The agents were still moving about, unfortunately. It seemed human vs car wasn't really a match. The car wasn't even dented where it had struck you. The driver had gotten out and approached the woman who had distracted you along with the unconscious agent she had pulled to safely.
You were still going to have to deal with remaining kidnappers then.
Wincing you sat up straight, shoulder pulling in agony and vision blurring before you had to stop the movement.
The agents had also stopped and were looking directly towards you.
One called put, "Hey, don't move! You might be injured."
"You think I might be injured! You shot me in the shoulder, handcuffed me and then hit me with a car!" You tried to shout back, pain restricting your angry shout so an annoyed whine became a better description.
Whilst talking you finally managed to look at the agents properly. Two of them had removed their outer jackets to use as a cushion for fallen comrades, revealing a bright symbol stitched into their white shirts. You were too far and your eyes were blurring so you couldn't make it out properly but the harsh blood red was certainly visible enough, the vivid colour was all that you needed.

Hydra it is then!

Groaning once again you dragged yourself up and stood on the floor, glass and shards of a broken chair making the ground sharp and unstable. Shuffling to the back of the cafe you enter the small, spotless kitchen and spot the back door. Feeling a little guilty for the damage committed you kick the door open and stumble to your knees in pain.
That shoulder really needs looking at but it'll have to wait until the danger is averted, whenever that is.
Literally crawling you enter another smaller alley and slowly make your way to the exit for the bustling street. Police cars have managed to block off the violent encounter you unfortunately suffered through, police tape sealing any small gaps and some police officers directing the flow of traffic to avoid a large build up of cars. The rest of the available officers were storming the nearly empty street and arresting the few agents left standing, shock running through the cops as they spotted the man dangling about 6 metres from the ground.

Sensing a good story, reporters managed to break through the police line and rushed to the huddled officers, cameras flashing into life and recording everything for the world to watch in a few hours. The odd gasp went unheard when the trapped man was spotted, this wasn't normal but then what was normal in this ever changing world of superheros and the unexplained?
But it was clear this wasn't the work of a normal citizen so therefore it wasn't the police services work either.
Time to call SHIELD and let them handle this supernatural event.

You had managed to stand and enter the large crowd gathered to watch the crime scene, injured wrapped in your torn shirt and covered with a coat. Your backpack was missing, left in the crime scene during the chaos. All your essential items were gone, let's hope they weren't that essential for your survival.

As if already on the way a van pulled up and multiple SHIELD agents exited the vehicle, dressed in combat clothes. Black boots, black trousers, black shirt and a black bulletproof vest hidden by, you guessed it, a black coat. The large group, about 10 people, rushed over the arrested criminals. Upon seeing the Hydra logo proudly displayed on their chests, the SHIELD agents secured the HYDRA agents in the van and closed off the area to the local police. This wasn't a public matter anymore.

You had seen enough and managed to exit the curious crowd and walk off down the street, pushing past people gently when needed to protect your shoulder. You had nowhere to go but you remember seeing an advertisement about a homeless shelter with spare space not too far away.
Minutes later you entered a rundown building and managed to secure a bad for one night. You went to the shared room where you would be sleeping and lay down, sighing in relief as your tense and sore muscles slowly relaxed. You needed to figure out a new plan and fix your shoulder. You began to reveal your shoulder but the cloth had stuck tightly with dried blood. You clenched your left and pulled the cloth with the right. Pain made darkness flash before your eyes again, blackness hiding the room from view. Other people were slowly entering the room as blood poured from your wound and dripped for all to see. You head hit the pillow and you passed out.

*****

A few blocks away the SHIELD agents were clearing away the last few bits of evidence. A gloved hand picked up a full backpack that had been dropped to the floor near the dying bush that had formed a wall. The man secured the item in a clear plastic bag before handing it to be stored in another van that had arrived. Your life savings, your spare clothes, a few personal items. And your identification along with a few crumpled images of you and your long dead family.