Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

Patrick Jane

There is absolutely no preparation needed for my plan. I just need to wait for Van Pelt to come in and then we're all systems go! It's not the best plan I've had, but it'll do.

Rigsby called me earlier asking about what time the plan is, so I'm assuming he asked because she can come and he needs to know when to bring her. That's why I didn't tell him the time earlier because I'd know whether she's coming before he actually tells me.

My cell phone rings and it's Lisbon.

'Hello,' I answer.

'Hi. What are you up to?' She asks with curiosity.

'I'm just... Preparing.'

'For what?'

'For catching the killer.'

'And when were you planning on telling me this?'

'Well actually. I was just going to call you.' A little white lie won't hurt anybody.

'Okay... I'm listening.'

'Good. I need you to make sure that the interrogation room Genevieve is put in has the blinds open.'

'Open?'

'Yes.'

'That's all you need to catch the murderer?'

'... Mmm... Well... Pretty much. I've got a little extra help in.'

'Who-'

'Oh I've got to go Lisbon. Bye, bye, bye,' I disconnect the call and decide it's about the right time to go downstairs to wait for the arrival of my extra help. Lisbon's not going to be happy when she finds out who it is...

I sit at one of the tables in the little kitchenette and wait. I sip at a cup of fresh tea and wait. I plan out the murder in my head and wait. Finally, above the constant background sound of people talking, I can just about pick out the sound of the clicking of a crutch. I remove myself from my seat and peek round the corner, my cup of tea in my hand. Sure enough Van Pelt is making her way along the busy corridors Rigsby at her side. She looks surprisingly well. There's still a few grazes on her face and the obvious cast and crutch, but she seems to have her warm glow back. I place my tea on the counter and walk over to her.

'It's okay now Rigsby. You go back to work, I know Lisbon's been looking for you. Don't worry I'll back you up, just tell her that you picked up my extra help for me. But don't tell her who, it's a... Surprise.'

'Uh...' He looks very uncertain.

'It's okay. I'll take Grace straight to a seat. Now off you go,' I shoo him away with my hand. He reluctantly walks out of sight.

'Surprise?' She asks.

'Meh... Lisbon will go bananas when she finds out it's you. And I'm hoping by then the plan will be underway. So... Yes. In a way. A surprise!'

'Okay... What ever you say. But none of this is my fault!'

'Sure. Now come on we need to sit you down.'

'No I'm okay.'

'Well I won't be if I don't take good care of you. So let's go and sit down and I'll tell you the plan.'

'Okay...' So we go into the kitchenette and I pick up my tea again and lead her to a table with two chairs. She sits down on one and I take her crutch and lean it on the side of a cupboard, then take a seat opposite her.