Chapter Twenty Eight

Grace Van Pelt

I continue to lie on the sofa where Wayne had put me this morning after I'd managed to persuade him. He was adamant that I should stay tucked up in bed but even the thought makes me bored and miserable.

I adore little baby Ben too, he's as cute as a button. I gave him his bedtime bottle of milk last night whilst Wayne showered. We seemed to get along okay. At first he was a bit shy towards me. But who wouldn't? I'd only met him once before, when he was just a newborn so he doesn't remember, to him this was the first time we'd met. And he seemed a bit bewildered about my cast. He wasn't quite sure what to make of it. But once Wayne had shown him it was safe and told him it was because I had a poorly arm he was fine with it. He looked so adorable in his little blue and green striped pyjamas, Ben that is, not Wayne.

But right now I'm thirsty and the pain in my head is starting to grow back again. It's lunchtime which means I can have another painkiller as the last time I'd taken one was earlier this morning. I guess I ought to sit up and take my time. So, I slowly and painfully creak into a sitting position then push myself forward onto the edge of the seat.

'Are you okay? What is it you want love?' Ben's childminder says slightly panicky.

'It's okay I'll get it,' I give her a reassuring smile and grab my crutch from the floor. I use it to steady myself as I get up then start making my way towards the kitchen. The childminder is sat watching over Ben as he eats his tuna sandwiches. As I walk past I smooth his soft caramel hair and make my way for the cupboard containing glasses. I fill one with water and drink half of it before calmly going back over to the couch. I lean my crutch on the side and place my glass on the coffee table in front of me. I pop a painkiller out of its plastic pocket and go through the routine of drinking then swallowing. I down the rest of my water and slowly sit back into the soft couch.

I wake from a doze as a chair scrapes along the hard floor.

'Would you like a bite to eat love?' The childminder asks.

'... No I'm okay thank you... I might get something later.'

'Okay. If you need anything just shout.'

'Okay. Thanks,' I smile at her and rest my head on the back of the couch again. I'll just let myself drift off...

My eyelids open and I hear someone scuttling around in the kitchen. The gentle lullaby of Ben's wind up baby mobile in his room can just about be heard, the childminder must have put him down for an hour or so. The curtains in the lounge area of Wayne's open plan apartment are closed making this part of the large room dimly lit. I look over to the kitchen and my eyes go into a frenzy of blinking at the light as the blinds are still open there. Once my eyes have adjusted I recognise the figure.

'Wayne?' I call out. His head darts around and he brushes his hands together then comes rushing over.

'Hey... How are you doing?'

'Okay I guess...' I rub my eyes with my good hand.

'Look... Be honest... But do you feel up to going out?'

'... Where?'

'... CBI...' He winces and looks a little worried.

'Why? I'm not ready to start work again. Not yet.'

'No no Grace. None of us were expecting you to. It's just, Jane has this crazy plan and you're involved...'

'What's his plan?'

'I'm not entirely sure... But he needs your help and he says it'll catch the killer.'

'Do you know what I'd have to do?'

'... He said you just have to act.'

'Act?' I say surprised.

'That's all I know... But if you don't think you can, then he said he won't force you and you won't have to do it.'

'No... I'll do it... When?'

'I'm not sure... I'll give him a call.' He takes out his phone and pecks me on the lips then wanders back to the kitchen and talks to Jane. I can't be bothered to listen in so instead I use my crutch and walk into Wayne's room where I'm also staying at the moment. I change into my pare of jeans but leave the top I had on. I awkwardly pin my hair into a ponytail and pull on a cardy. Then I go back out to find Wayne sat on the couch and a sandwich waiting for me. I sit next to him and start eating it.

'He says... It's this afternoon...'

'This afternoon?.. Okay...'

'I'll bring you in with me after lunch. Don't worry, it's sorted.'

Then we both sit there and eat our sandwiches.

When we're about to leave I suddenly remember something so I tell Wayne to hang on a sec, which turned out to be a couple of minutes, while I went and grabbed it.

In the car on the way over he asks what I'd got.

'Oh, Jane leant me this book when I was in hospital. I finished it so now I'm returning it. I can't see me getting another chance anytime soon to give it back.'

'Oh right... You don't have to do this you know?'

I take it he's referring to The Plan rather than returning the book.

'It's okay.'

And we continue driving to work.