Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Teresa Lisbon

We pull up outside a small block of apartments. I retrieve the piece of paper which contains the address of the two girls and lead the way. We walk up the steps and along the balcony until we come upon the correct address. I give a firm knock at the door with Jane stood behind me slightly. He's looking around and seems to be taking everything in. There's some rattling and a girl in her twenties opens the door.

"Hello ma'am we're from the CBI. We'd just like to ask you a few questions," I show the girl my credentials and she steps aside to let us in. Jane leads the way into the flat, taking in the scene.

"What's wrong officers?" The girl questions.

"Is your friend here?" Jane asks.

"No sorry. She went out about half an hour ago. She'll probably be back in an hour or so though."

Jane shows no sign of replying so I reply for him.

"Oh, no it's okay. Could you answer some questions for us? We can talk to your friend later. Are you Patricia Long?" I ask.

"Yes, my friend is Charlotte. Charlotte Green. Did you need to speak to her?"

"It can wait. But right now we would appreciate if you could help us," I repeat for about the third time.

"Sure. Would you like anything?" She asks us both.

"A cup of tea would be nice," Jane says.

"I'm fine, thank you," I reply. She walks over to her kitchen and starts making a mug of tea. I follow her and Jane drifts around the flat.

"What's your connection to Laura Collins?" I question.

"Oh my god? Has something happened her?" Patricia asks.

"Yes... She... Was murdered yesterday in her home... I'm sorry for your loss," I give my condolences.

She hands Jane his tea and sits down at a little table.

"Ma'am, I'd just-" I start to say but Jane's hand rests on my shoulder. I turn to face him and he mouths 'wait' to me. So I stand there. And wait. And wait. And wait some more. Then finally he walks towards Patricia and crouches beside her. She watches him and he looks at her, into her.

"Patricia, I know it's hard, but I want you to answer some questions for us. Then we'll go and you can be alone. But until then we are staying here because we need to find out as much information as possible."

Patricia nods and I bring out my notebook and pen.

"Are you a colleague of Laura Collins?" I make sure my tone is soft and clear. She nods her head.

"Are you familiar with her routine? You know, the days she worked, the days she went out," Patrick asks her.

"Not really. She doesn't...didn't... Always work the same days as me. But other than the salon I didn't have much contact with her.'

"What days do you work Patricia?" I say.

"Monday, Wednesday and Saturday."

"So that means you worked with her two days a week?" I ask.

"Yes. We used to talk a lot on our breaks."

"Did you see her outside of work?"

"Only if all the girls went out after our shifts."

My phone starts ringing and I pick up after seeing the caller ID.

"Van Pelt, what have you got?"

"The cleaner says that Laura was normally in when she got to the house. But would often have to go out somewhere and wouldn't return until hours later," Van Pelt tells me.

"Alright, you and Rigsby go back to the salon and talk to the other workers. See if any of them know where she went on Saturday nights."

"Okay boss." With that she hangs up. I turn around to see Jane and Patricia having a conversation. I try to hear what he's saying to her but he lowers his voice even more. I leave him to it, let him work his magic. I call Cho to see if he has anything more on the case.

"CBI, this is Agent Cho," he says.

"Hi Cho, have you found anything on the case?"

"Only that her income was around 13,373 dollars a year and 1,114 a month." I hear some papers rustling and Cho's voice comes back on. "And that's it. I've been trying to see whether she was a member for any activities held in this area on a Friday or Saturday but nothing has come up."

"Hmmm... Okay. Jane and I are still at the co-workers apartment and Van Pelt and Rigsby have just gone back to the salon. We need to find out where she went on her days off. Have you got any details of family members?" I ask.

"We've got the home address for her step-mother but her father died a few years ago."

"Okay, can you go and see her?"

"Sure," he says and we both hang up.

I stand there for a few moments just watching Jane and Patricia's conversation. I can't hear much of what they're saying. After about five minutes of being stood there like that Jane stands up.

"Thank you very much Patricia," he says. "Lovely talking to you."

"You too Mr Jane," she replies.

We both say goodbye and leave the apartment. Jane by my side once again. We are walking down the stairs and towards the car.

"Patricia's little friend Charlotte..." He starts.

"Yes. What about her?"

"What days does she work?"

"I'm not sure. We can ask Van Pelt to find out for us?" I say getting my phone ready.

"No need."

"And why's that?" I ask.

"Patience, Lisbon, is a virtue," and with that he gets in the car.