Chapter 40

"Turkey's excellent," I heard Uncle Darrell say.

"Thank you," Dad said.

The adults are in the kitchen while us kids are in the living room watching the rest of the game.

"Oh my God, can't any of you guys know how to throw the damn ball!" Gabriel yelled.

"Gabriel, watch your mouth!" Aunt Amanda yelled.

"It wasn't me, Mom—it was Diego," Gabriel said.

"Screw you, man!" Diego yelled.

"Knock it off or you're going to get a butt whooping!" Grandpa said.

"Oh, for goodness sake, Dad—You don't spank kids," Aunt Isabelle said.

"Is your family always like this?" Heather asked.

"Oh, yeah," Mia said.

"Okay, Sarah, have some more potatoes," Natalia said, giving Sarah a spoonful.

"Game's over," Jacob said.

"Great. We lost," Gabriel said, sitting back on the recliner.

"Finally. We can shut the TV off now," Camilla said, grabbing the remote and turning the TV off.

Mia got up from the couch. "I'm going to get seconds." She walks out of the living room.

"Oh God. I'm full," Jacob said.

Heather stands up. "Um...I'm going outside for a little bit." She leaves the living room.

"She's not used to this, is she?" Diego asked.

"Yeah, our mom came from a small family," I said.

"Where is she from again?" Gabriel asked.

"Milwaukee," Mariah said.

"Mariah, can you go outside and keep Heather company?" Mom asked from the kitchen.

"But I'm feeding Sarah," she said.

"I'm feeding her," Natalia said.

"Shut up," Mariah said.

"Mariah, now," Mom demanded.

Mariah groaned and walked out of the living room.

"Who wants dessert?" Aunt Sofia said.

"Finally!" Eighteen year old Pablo said, getting up from the couch.

There is pumpkin pie, apple pie, cookies, and rice krispie bars. I grabbed an apple pie and a chocolate chip cookie then went back into the living room. Just as I was in the middle of eating the pie, my phone buzzed again. I groaned and pulled it out of my pocket. Brian texted me again.

What are you doing right now?

Eating desserts. What are you doing?

I'm in the bathroom, hiding from my family.

What happened?

My aunt Laurie is complaining about her swollen stomach, and Keegan said, 'Well, that's what you get for getting pregnant'. And then she got mad at him, and next thing you know, everybody's fighting with each other.

That's gotta suck.

I know. I really miss you.

I miss you too.

"You two are so cute," Natalia whispered to me.

"Get away from me," I said.

I have an annoying cousin, I texted.

Oh, really?

Yes.

"I'm not annoying," Natalia said.

"I said to get away from me," I said.

I'll text you later. She's reading over my shoulder.

Bye, Chris.

"I'm not annoying," Natalia said again.

"You kind of are," I said.

She playfully pushed my head and we both laughed.

At around nine, almost everybody is starting to get tired, so it's time for the family to get back to their hotel and house.

"See you guys tomorrow," Grandpa said.

Uncle Stanley has the diaper bag in one hand and has Louisa in a baby basket in the other hand. "Have you guys seen Isabelle?" he asked.

"I think she's in the basement. I'll go get her," I said. I went down to the basement. As I got to the middle step, I heard Aunt Isabelle's voice.

"I haven't held that grudge ever since I met Stanley," she said.

I got to the bottom step to see her with Uncle Joey.

"What were you holding a grudge for?" he asked.

"You know...the thing that happened nine years ago," she said.

"Oh, yeah." Uncle Joey scratches his head.

"I wanna say that there's no hard feelings and I forgive you."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"That's all I wanted from you. Come here." Uncle Joey opened his arms and they both hugged.

"Um, Aunt Isabelle," I said.

Aunt Isabelle and Uncle Joey looked at me.

"Uncle Stanley's looking for you," I said.

"Oh, yeah. Right." She lets go of Uncle Joey. "I have to go now." She gives me a hug. "Goodbye, Christopher." She walks up the stairs.

"I got to go, too. See you later, Chris." Uncle Joey patted me on the shoulder before going upstairs.

I looked up after him. What did Uncle Joey do to Aunt Isabelle? What actually happened? Was that the actual reason he hasn't been around the family for the last nine years?

I went into my room and laid down on my bed. Today was very fun. I saw my whole family again, I played with my cousins, and I got to see Aunt Isabelle and Uncle Joey made up.

My phone started to ring. I answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey, Chris."

"Hey, Brian." I rolled onto my stomach.

"I got some news," he said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I got a job!"

"Really? Where?"

"At McDonald's."

"Oh."

"Something wrong?"

"No."

"Oh, it sounded like you're disappointed in me."

"No, I'm not. What are you going to do there?"

"Work as a cashier three days a week. I'll be starting on Monday after school."

"Good for you."

"Thanks. So how did your Thanksgiving go?"

I told him about the entire day, minus Aunt Isabelle and Uncle Joey making up because I still don't know why they fought. When Brian asked how I can handle being in a big family, I laughed and said I can't.

We talked for about an hour until we both ran out of things to talk about. We said our goodbyes and hung up. I plugged my phone into my charger and changed into my pajamas. I'm really happy Brian got a job. I just thought he would get a job at a gas station instead of McDonald's. That really surprised me for some reason.

I turned the TV on and watched Bambi until I fell asleep.

♥️♥️♥️

Feel free to comment if you like.