6

°•~☆~•°

°•~☆~•°

I was surprised but not too surprised to see him. It was more like a 'well shit' moment for me.

"Have we met before?" he asked furrowing his eyebrows. He looked like he knew me, but he wasn't really sure. 

"Yeah...I'm Maren DeVito's best friend." I reminded him making him 'oh'.

"Brandy? Is it?" he asked.

"Beverley." I corrected.

"Oh! My bad!" he chuckled embarrassed. "I'm guessing that you want to pay for your items?"

"Yes." I pushed the basket towards him.

We didn't say a word. I was just standing there as he was checking my items one by one. I wasn't much of a talkative person or one to start small talk since I never had anything to say or talk about, especially with Matthew since we rarely talked outside of greetings. Even if that was the case, I still felt uncomfortable with the silence.

"So..." I said awkwardly breaking the silence. "you work here?"

"Yep. It's my second job. I'm a fulltime photographer and a part time cashier at a stationery store." He answered with a smile.

"How come I've never seen you? I come here frequently enough to know the employees here."

"I'm mostly busy with photoshoots and other photography related stuff during the day. So, I usually take nightshifts." He explained.

"But don't you get a fabulous amount of money as a photographer?" I arched an eyebrow.

"The pay is good," he answered with a fair to middling expression. "though I get a little less than any other photographer, it's still a good pay. But it doesn't hurt to get some extra cash on the side."

"Hmm." I pursed my lips. "So, what made you work on a Friday afternoon?"

"I had no work today, so I decided to take a dayshift instead of sitting on my arse bored at home."

"Are you off work because of preparations for the Eaglesvale trip and the gala?" I asked. "Maren told me about it."

He looked at me with an arched brow. "Well no...I decided to take the day off from being a photographer is all. I'm still yet to decide if I want to go to the gala."

"Well, Maren is going, and she wants to take me with her."

"Isn't she taking her boyfriend?"

"He bailed on her - again."

His eyebrows went up before he cringed and sucked his teeth. "I take it she didn't receive it well."

I chuckled. "You'd think she would be used to it by now, but from how upset she was, she was really looking forward to taking him on this trip."