Chapter 3

"I'll protect you Rick,"

Lexi Dixion was only 10 years old when she made her first oath.

☆ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌☆﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ ☆

She was in the bathroom of the hospital when everything went down. After washing her hands when she stepped out side she heard screaming. Blood curling screaming, right in front of her eyes was a man biting the arm of a woman who was trying to get away. The man had bandages over his head and wore a bloody hospital gown. Within seconds the woman was on the floor as the man continued to eat at her arm. Lexi looked around for help instinctively but no one had time to care. They all ran around screaming trying to get away from more bloody people. She ducked back inside the bathroom. No one else was in here.. yet. She grabbed her pocket knife from her bag and hid in a stall. She could wait it out... that's what she'll do.

But no... she couldn't Rick was still in a coma alone in the room. Shane was visiting but what if he left? Gun shots start ringing outside. She had to take her chances. Quickly ducking in and out of rooms she made her way to Rick's room. A bed was in front of it so she had to climb over before going inside. She checked to see if Rick was still breathing before barricading the door with some chairs.

"It's okay.." Lexi held her small pocket knife close as she watched Rick. If this is what she thought it was then she was safer inside than out.

"It's okay... I'll protect you Rick,"

It was long, maybe 3 days ago rick had promised to take care of her. Instead the next morning h eras shot and in a coma. Lexi had little time to worry about her situation when there was a big chance Rick her best friends dad could die. But now roles were needing to be reversed. She would protect him or die trying. She wanted to go find her dad, ask for him to take the rents to protect her like he usually does, to step in and fight the fight she couldn't.. she missed him. But she couldn't leave not right now.

☆ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌☆﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ ☆

After 3 weeks she kept her promise, she took care of him. Changed any bags connected to him. Refilled what she could. The power was still somewhat there in the hospital she used it sparingly on the machines connected to Rick. She left only to get a basket of food from the cafeteria. Most of it was cleaned out and infected with the Dead but Lexi made due and scavenged what she could. There was government officials outside but from what she saw Rick would be dead before they had a chance to say they weren't bit or scratched. She hid them well. There was a shoot out. Probably a last stand sort of thing. Either way she stayed inside ignored any yelling screaming crying or growling. They were left alone for the most part.

It could have been 1,2 or 3 days since the most recent shoot out inside the hospital she wasn't sure but Rick finally woke up. And just her luck she wasn't there for it. She could avoid it no longer going to her 3rd run at the cafeteria moving quietly enough so the Dead wouldn't notice her. She didn't have to use her knife at all. When she returned to the hospital room the bed was empty. She dropped the basket running to the window there Rick was standing near a walker on the ground he was trying to calm it down? Or maybe asking it a question? She didn't know all she knew was he was in no state to be walking around- or well now he's grabbing a bike which he also shouldn't be doing. Lexi almost ran out before running back for a bag to put all the food in. She grabbed a few guns on her way out filling up the military duffel bag there wasn't much but it was something.

She found him outside his house, a man and who she could only assume was his son was dragging him away

"Drop him or I drop you!" She told them loud enough for them to hear but quiet enough not to draw more attention from the dead stragglers around them