Chapter 1

It was a Sunday Lori decided that Carl and Rick needed some bonding time after pancakes. Said to run to the mall and spend some money on him. So here they are eating ice cream while they walk around the Shopping Mall Jam packed with people.

"Dad I'm gonna go play!" Carl informed him running towards the indoor play area. Usually packed with toddlers on weekdays now on the weekend had more kids around Carls age. Rick sat on a bench watching him explore the play area.

"Hi my name is Carl" Carl walks up to a girl who was reading

"My name is Lexi" she looked up from her book smiling

"how old are you? I'm 11" Carl asks enthusiastically

"I'm 9," Lexi replies. Lexi had long, light brown hair. She looked like the kind of kid you expect to wear glasses. Her hair was tied up with a pink pony tail her hair blocked her from reading the novel in her lap. However When the boy Carl asked to play she set down the book and accepted his invitation. Rick watched the two play tag with the other kids, watching the beginning in of what he felt would be a long friendship

☆﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌☆﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ ☆

Rick was right, from that day on when they went to the mall after pancakes, Lexi was there and eventually started visiting their house almost every day. Carl and Lexi were inseparable for almost a year. They had Birthdays together but not once did Rick meet her parents. She said she lived with her father and Uncle otherwise she was very vague. He ran a police background check on their names but he only found her uncle her dad didn't seem to be in the system. Once in while she came back with bruises but she insisted they were from "Hunting"

From what he gathered her home life wasn't the best so Rick let her keep coming over. But this problem wasn't something he could ignore forever

"Hi Mr. Grimes can I play with Carl?" Rick looked down at the 10 year old girl again asking politely even though she was always more than welcome

"Of course, he's is in his room" Lexi nods gives Rick a hug and runs up the stairs. No new bruises that he could see but again her clothes are dirty. The best he's seen them were definitely hand washed.

Lexi knocks on the door of carls room. Walking inside she sees him on his stomach reading a comic book and legos surrounding him

"Taking a break from building?" Lexi laughs sitting down in front of him. His eyes lit up when he saw her

"Yeah! And look," the two children were enveloped in the legos for the next hour. He had gotten some new ones recently and was excited to show her.

Lexi watched him smile, she felt guilty for lying to them. As much as she loves this family she couldn't tell them about her dad or her uncle. Ever since her uncle came back into her dads life a year ago her life had changed drastically. Her uncle was usually high or drunk, Her dad did her best to keep him away from her when such things happened but every once in a while he went hunting without her, her uncle starts yelling. She counts her self lucky that he didn't do anything worse then push her aside once in awhile, but the yelling was always too much... she couldn't involve Carls Family. So for now she kept the lie... Not once has she had permission to come to this house. Only the library, what would she even tell her Father?

"Oh yeah forgot to tell you I'm hanging out with some boy and his family and his dad happens to be a cop!"

She might as well hold a poster saying she wanted her uncle to get arrested. Her family was big on "Blood before anything else" and "No Cops" the two rules she happened to be breaking right now... And what would she tell Carls family?

"My family doesn't know I'm here," Rick was a cop no doubt, he would definitely try to talk to her father and uncle and then bam same situation. But what if... what if her dad changed? What if an adult talking to him would change his mind and he would give her permission to come? Maybe even give her rides... taking the bus or walking everyday hasn't been exactly easy since they live in the woods.

"Lexi are we friends?" Carl interrupts her thoughts

"Uh yeah?" Lexi laughs at the ridiculous question

"Just friends?" He asked seriously Lexi stops playing with the legos

"No... we're best friends!" Lexi finally says. When Carl seems satisfied with her answer they continue playing.

"Hey Lexi mind if I talk to you?" Rick asks at the door

"Uh sure," Lexi puts down the building she was working on and followed Rick into the Dining room. Lori was in the kitchen starting dinner when they sat down.

"Look I can't force you to tell me everything but... if you need anything," Rick paused

"And I mean anything. you tell us and we'll do our best to help you," Rick finished. Lexi slowly nods feeling the weight of his words. Maybe it was time to let out the cat in the bag?