1. One of those days

"Hey, wake up. Ratchet, wake up."

"He's not waking up little guy. Try throwing something at him."

"Miko! No, I'm not going to do that! he'll squash me."

"Then why did Optimus have us wake him up? Hmm?" The words pushed the small twelve year old boy to gulp back his worry and climb up his recharging frame, the older girl following.

"Now what?" Raf asked, helping Miko up as she stood next to him.

"I don't know, maybe shake him awake." Miko suggested, earning a glare from the shorter boy.

"Sure, let shake a 3 ton Autobot awake. That's a great idea." Raf rolled his eyes.

Miko huffed and kneeled, getting ready to bang on his chest when the sudden rupture of light caught their attention.

The light seemed to be coming from the creases that covered his spark chamber, ultimately meaning the bright blue light was radiating from his spark, his lifeforce.

"I don't like the look of that..." Raf admitted, watching the intense lightshow glow up more and more, feeling and seeing Ratchet stir in his recharging state.

"I'm getting Optimus, and you're coming with me before you get crushed." Miko didn't have to say anything but silently agree with the boy, both of them quickly jumping down and running to the main room as fast as their feet could take them.

"Optimus! Optimus!" The two kids screamed and yelled, flaring their arms. Optimus' audio receptors stood up at the mention of his designation as he turned around from the conversation with Jack and Arcee, curiosity clearly smothered on his faceplates.

"What seems to be the problem? The gentle leader asked, raising a optic ridge.

Miko, out of breath, spoke first. "It's Ratchet."

With that Optimus quickly took of without further questioning, grabbing the two kids in the mix.

~

Optimus opened the door quickly, setting the kids down on the nightstand. He watched Ratchet's spark glisten from within his chamber, venting out both a sigh of relief and worry for the part of him that knew this was something deeper than a sparkbond.

"Optimus, what's going on?" Raf quietly asked once he pieced the puzzle together.

"He must hide it well, perhaps." Optimus spoke to himself, almost as if he answered one of his silent questions out loud. He looked shocked for a second, seeing that Ratchet's spark was doing something new he hasn't seen yet. When he finished filtering he turned now to the two children.

"Ratchet here, well..." He trailed off, trying to find the right words.

"He is different then the average Cybertronian. It is not my place to share his past if he does not want to, but I will inform you he is okay."

The kids both looked confused. "So why was his spark all bright and colorful?" Miko asked, cocking her hip. "And what do you mean 'different'?"

Optimus sighed, thinking for a second. "There is a purpose as to why Ratchet's spark lights up. He hides it for the most part, but I'm afraid he cannot hide it during his recharge."

"I'm still missing a big chunk here, Prime." Miko said unamused.

"Does it hurt?" Raf asked now.

Optimus nodded. "Very much so."

The two kids cringed, and that's when Optimus knew he went too far accidentally. He extended his servo out for the two of them.

"But wait! I still have unanswered questions! Miko blurted, reluctantly climbing into the Prime's servo.

"If Ratchet wishes to tell you he will." Was all Optimus said before he extended his free servo to Ratchet's shoulder-plating.

The prime gently shook Ratchet awake, the medic gasping as the pain from his spark hit him full on.

"Why do I have an audience?" Ratchet asked in a deep voice, sliding his pedes off of his berth as he sat up, looking to the kids, then to Optimus.

No one answered his question, but instead asked a few of their own.

"Woah Ratch, I didn't know your spark could do that! Does is hurt bad? Can you feel it as you recharge? Are all Cybertronians like that?"

Ratchet looked confused, before he looked down to his chest plating and saw the bright blue light streaming out from the creases of his connecting armor.
Once he realized just how bright his spark was in the moment, he forcefully controlled it and made the light much more dimmer.

"I'm okay, this is nothing new." Ratchet said to the three, Optimus already knowing himself. He felt bad, knowing how much pain he really put himself through each day.

"Helloooooo, aren't you going to answer my questions?" Miko asked, shaking everyone back into reality.

"I'll talk about this later." Ratchet said with a fling of his servo and a stare to a certain leader. Optimus understood and started to make his way back into the main room, both kids still in his servo.

"Let us give you your privacy, old friend." The gentle giant said as he opened and closed the berthroom door, walking down the hallway.

Miko, full of questions still, started to ramble until Optimus dropped them both off at the human area, not saying a word.

"Oh come on Optimus, you can't leave a curious girl with questions unanswered! I know you know the answers, I know it!" The girl cried, stomping her foot like a moody teenager would.

"I will not disrespect Ratchet anymore today. When he feels comfortable he will come around." Optimus repeated, walking away from the enraged girl.

Miko huffed, and when she cooled down from not getting her way, went to find Bulkhead. She knew the big green machine was around one of the corners somewhere-

~

Ratchet clenched his spark chamber, feeling the pain settle down a little for now. He shifted his metal chest around, making sure everything was rightfully clicked in, hiding every part of his bright spark away.

For the past couple years, the bond grew stronger, he could sense it. His spark ached more and tried to sub-consciously shift his metal around, before the stubborn medic stopped any such action from being showed. Now, well, his spark was out of control and filled with sorrow.

"frag" He cursed himself, realizing that two of the three kids know about this...incident. Knowing Miko, the whole base probably knows by now. What's worse is Optimus knowing about his new feature his spark decided to create. He didn't want his problems to be shown to the world, just another thing to add to Optimus' worry list.

The medic sighed and stood up, not caring about the fact that he recharged way past his normal wake up time- not that he cared that much today.

Today was going to be one of those days she was weighing heavy in his mind.

~