Starling

"You can do this, Y/N. I just want you to take off, take a decently long flight around, and touch back down," Rhodey said as he crossed his arms.

"You're really expecting a lot from me today, aren't you?" You questioned as you looked at Rhodey, Nat, and Steve.

"You've been at this for three months, Y/N. You can do it," Steve said with an encouraging smile.

You took a deep breath and took a running start before taking off. Three months of practicing and you were finally feeling relatively okay with flying. You began to soar high above the compound and your friends below were as small as ants.

"This is for you, Sam," you whispered as you soared, twisting and turning through the air.

Once you flew around for a bit, you ended up touching back down and Rhodey looked at you with a grin.

"How did that feel, Starling?"

"Starling? What the hell is a starling?" you questioned with a smile, your brow raised in question.

"A type of bird," Rhodey replied, chuckling. "I think that's the most flawless flight I've seen you take."

Rhodey looked to Natasha, who quickly pulled her pistol out and aimed at you. You quickly wrapped the wings around you just as Nat began to fire, using them as a shield.

"Not bad," Nat said, holstering her pistol.

Steve, Natasha, and Rhodey all looked at one another, which made you nervous.

"What is it?" You finally asked.

"We're just impressed with you," Rhodey said with a smile. "You've really worked hard to be where you're at right now."

"Sam would be proud of you," Steve said with a grin.

"I would hope so," you muttered to yourself with a sigh. "Thank you for your help today, guys." 

Without another word, you began to walk back inside and Steve jogged to catch up to you, a concerned look on his face.

"Are you okay?" He questioned.

"I'm fine, Steve," you replied softly.

"Y/N, something is bothering you. I can tell."

Steve stopped walking and gently grabbed your hand, causing you to stop. Another sigh left your lips and you looked up at Steve. As much as you liked him, your heart was aching for Sam. It was like the further you were from the snap, the more it ate you alive that you were moving on.

"It's Sam, isn't it?" Steve asked, looking hurt.

"Steve," you muttered. "You know I have feelings for you."

"And for Sam still," he replied.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't still have feelings for Peggy and then we'll talk about this."

Your words hit Steve hard because he knew that they were true. That's why you and Steve were good for one another though. You both had history with someone else that you loved and lost, so you knew how the other felt. There were days though that each of you wished you could be the only one that the other cared for.

"Y/N, right now, it's me and you. Peggy isn't here and neither is Sam. We lost them both."

And now his words hit you hard. They weren't here and never would be again but time didn't make it any easier.

"Can we spend time together tonight? Just me and you? We can watch a movie or something," Steve offered, smiling small.

"Sure," you replied, walking off once more.