Denial

You had began to spend several times a week with Steve to get away from the compound. Sometimes your time spent hanging out was as simple as going for a run around Central Park, while other times would include going out to eat or even just getting ice cream.

While Natasha would go once and a while, she usually left you and Steve to be alone, which started to cause problems for you. Guilt began to consume you every time that Steve came around and soon enough, you started to come up with excuses to not hang out with him anymore.

"So why'd you bail on Steve again?" Natasha questioned as she quietly came into the kitchen, making you jump.

"I just didn't feel like company today," you replied, lying to Natasha.

"Okay. So what's the real reason?"

"That is the real reason, Nat."

You opened the fridge and began to look through it before finding some tea and pouring two glasses.

"You like Steve, don't you?" Natasha said, finally coming to the realization.

"No, I don't," you quickly replied, your brows pulling together as you finally looked at her.

"Oh, you totally do. It's written all over your face, Y/N."

It was true. The past six weeks had brought you and Steve closer together and deep down, you knew you were beginning to develop feelings for him. Even then, you tried to only think of Sam since his memory was all that you had of him.

"Natasha, please.."

"This is a good thing!"

"Trust me, Nat. It is not a good thing."

"And why not?" Natasha questioned.

"Because I'm still in love with Sam."

"Y/N," Natasha said in almost a whisper. "I know but maybe it's time to give somebody new a chance."

"You know I can't do that."

"But it's Steve. He's the reason you ever met Sam. He's been your teammate for the past seven years. You two have always had chemistry," Natasha replied, offering a small, yet sincere, smile.

"What are you? A matchmaker?" You teased.

Natasha picked your phone up off of the counter and handed it back to you.

"Do me a favor and reschedule with Steve."

You sighed and reluctantly took the phone from Natasha.

"You know, sometimes I really hate you."

"I know," Nat replied with a chuckle as she picked up the glass you poured for her and walked away.

You reluctantly began to dial Steve's number and listened to the ringing, waiting for Steve to answer.

——

"So what exactly are you guys?" Steve had asked, looking from you to Sam as you and Sam had entered yours and Nat's room.

"What do you mean?" You asked, raising a brow as you sat on the arm of the chair that Sam had sat in.

"We saw you kissing," Natasha said bluntly, smirking at you.

"No you didn't."

"Maybe you're right. It must have been your identical twins," Steve said with a smirk.

"I guess the better question would be how long has this been going on between the two of you?" Natasha asked.

You looked to Sam and he looked right back at you and you could tell he was trying his hardest not to answer. You, on the other hand, cracked like an egg.