Chapter 1

(AN: This is my first fanfiction so bear with me please. And I'm British so my knowledge of American city life is certainly lacking, I'll definitely still try. Comments and corrections welcome.)

It was getting unbearable.
The power, it was growing too quickly and soon it would be too much to handle. The unseen force seemed to curl within your stomach, a tight ball of energy that occasionally seeped into a limb or two.
You quickly sat down on the single chair in your apartment before scrunching up your eyes in discomfort and pain. This time was the worst yet. You gasped as the ball of energy broke apart and tendrils flooded your body, approaching different fingers, limbs and even your face.

It was too much.

After trying for a few seconds to contain your superpower you realised nothing could stop it now. You sighed in relief but also fear as a tiny sliver of power left your body and entered the world. The house plants dotted around the three rooms in your apartment soon started to flourish and burst with life, new leaves and flowers coated the thin stems despite the freezing air that winter held over the city.

Seemingly content with the small prison break, the power retreated back into the depths of your body and calmed down. Unfortunately that calmness didn't spread to the rest of you.

It was too late now.
They knew.
They would be coming.
And that was a terrifying thought.

You quickly stood up and rushed into your small bedroom, grabbed the already packed emergency backpack and rushed out of your home onto the fire escape clinging to the side of your building. You started rushing towards the street below, towards the freedom and relative safety being lost in a large crowd offered.

You only hoped it was enough.

*****

You had been keeping and holding your powers within yourself for a few months now. Ever since you first felt something was wrong walking down that packed street on the way to work until now, the slip up in your home. Walking through all the large crowds you had felt something, like somebody was watching you. Looking around, trying to be inconspicuous whilst doing so, you saw a suited man staring at you from across the wide street. You hid your shocked expression and continued walking, sensing the stranger following you until you managed to speed walk into the office block where you worked. Ever since that day you always saw the same man, a woman or at some points a group of people watching you, following your every move. It wasn't a week after your first sighting that you found the first camera in your small apartment. A tiny dot camera covering the open plan kitchen living area. You then searched every room and found cameras and listening devices in all sorts of places, on top of cupboards, under chairs, even a listening device stuck to the ceiling of the bathroom!

You then hid your powers and yourself. Your boss fired you after a few days, stating a weak excuse for having to let you go, definitely the work of the mysterious stalkers. You didn't know who they were: SHIELD, HYDRA or any other organisation with a stupid word for a name? But they were powerful and obviously had a keen interest in you so therefore you didn't take any chances. You had stopped going out and ordered whatever you needed, using your small collection of savings to pay for the roof over your head and food. Finances were running out when the accident occurred and you started the escape plan you had been planning for the previous months.

*****

The cold breeze that pushed against your face when you climbed outside dragged you from your reminiscent memories.
You had to leave the city and preferably the country, you could not get caught!

You started your descent towards the ground not a second too soon. A bang and subsequent crash of the door being kicked in and falling to the floor startled you and caused you to slip down the icy ladder a few rungs before regaining your grip.
More crashes from above you signalled the rage of the stalkers as they couldn't find you, however it wouldn't be long before they did if you didn't get moving.
Thankful for the thick boots you had raced to put on, you jumped the last few feet to the ground below, sliding for a second before friction stopped your journey. You tightened the backpack slung across both shoulders before hurrying off into the populated city centre with your head hung low, trying to be discreet whilst looking for transport.

You didn't get far before you heard a car slowly turning into the quiet alley you had taken in an attempt to reach the train station faster.
That was obviously a mistake on your behalf.
A car blocked the pathway behind you and three figures stepped out of the shadows to block the exit and the light in front of you. You twisted around, searching for a way to escape but found nothing other than overflowing bins and litter lining the walls, fire escapes too high up the wall to reach. Looking back towards the two exits you saw a few more people entering the alleyway, all dressed in the same type of clothes, dark suits with sunglasses covering their eyes, could they get anymore obvious and suspicious!
A total of ten stalkers were blocking your escape, five on either side. As if that wasn't bad enough they all proceeded to pull out handguns. Not aiming at you but definitely a warning not to make any trouble.
Well you weren't going to sit down and let them take you so you decided to act, and quickly before more people arrived.

You regretfully had to drop your stuffed backpack to free up your body before using your powers to benefit your escape, no point hiding your powers now.
"Come and get me!" You shouted. A second later they accepted your offer and charged towards you, guns being raised and aimed before you could react.

This was NOT going to be fun and pain-free.
But for who?