Opposites Attract

John waltzed into school with a bright smile illuminating his face. While walking through the hallways, the underclassmen pride club members waved to their president. John had squealed at the beginning of the school year when it was announced that after 3 years of participating in the gay pride club, he was named president. So far it was the highlight of his senior year.

Humming a little tune to himself, John opened his locker and fumbled around for his books. After obtaining what he needed for his next few classes, he stole a quick glance in the locker mirror to make sure not a strand of his hair was out of place. Today he was wearing one of his favorite outfits. The blond had on loose fitted light blue jeans, cuffed at the ankles with red high top converse. On top he had a white shirt with a few colorful stripes across the chest. John finished the look with light purple eyeshadow. All the girls were jealous because his makeup always looked perfect. John had raided his sister's makeup and spent hours practicing it after he saw a picture of a boy wearing makeup on Instagram. He didn't know it was something boys could do and instantly loved it. However, he didn't like wearing skin makeup so he just wore impeccable eye makeup and let his acne show. It's not like it was a big deal anyway. He wore makeup as a form of art, a way to express himself, not to "perfect" himself. Satisfied with his appearance, John walked to his next class, Literature. It was his favorite subject so he had a bit of a bounce in his step.

As he was about to step into the classroom, someone bumped him and sent the blond's back hard against the doorframe. John whipped his head up to scold the other student, but his mouth froze when he saw who was standing less than a meter away from him.

The Sherlock Holmes. The guy John's been crushing on ever since he came out. John's soft blue eyes looked up into Sherlock's eyes that were rimmed with black smudged eyeliner. The dark color contrasted beautifully with his gray and gold speckled eyes. Said eyes narrowed as Sherlock glared at John and pushed his way through the doorway, his black platform boots making dull thudding sounds as the tall boy walked.

Although John's back was throbbing, his heart was beating rapidly at those few precious moments of eye contact. He licked his lips and forced his legs to move. John sat in his regular seat, front and center of the classroom. Education was super important to him, especially since he was planning on becoming a doctor.

The teacher walked in, her heels clipping on the tiled floor. "Good morning class," she called.

There were a few mumbled responses before class started. After a few minutes, Miss Smith announced they would be working on a group project. Throughout the class, groans and cheers were heard. John didn't mind group work as long as he got to choose his partner.

"And I'll be picking your partner," the blonde woman smiled. At this, everyone sighed. Miss Smith began reading of her pairs. "Molly with Greg, Jim with Sebastian, John with Sherlock..."

John's heart stopped. Holy shit. I have to work with Sherlock! The blond rotated his head to the back of the room to look at the boy dressed in all black sitting at the far back of the class. As if knowing he was being watched, Sherlock lifted his curly head and brought his piercing eyes to John's. John whipped his head around and tried to focus on what Miss Smith was saying.

"So that should be everyone paired up. With the rest of class, I'd like you to get together with your partner and brainstorm ideas. Remember, you have to do a presentation on one of the many authors we have discussed so far this school year. And, you won't have much class time to work on this project, so you'll have to meet outside of class to get it done." With that, their teacher pivoted on her heel and sat down at her desk, probably grading the papers from last week.

John gulped but picked up his notebook and pen before walking to Sherlock's desk. The dark haired boy kept his head facing down at his book as John approached. Biting his lip, John plopped down in the empty desk beside Sherlock.

"Um, hi," John smiled awkwardly. Sherlock glanced up at the other boy and let out a sigh.

"Hello, John," Sherlock said in his deliciously deep voice. John almost shivered just hearing his name roll off Sherlock's lips. "I don't like group work, so just do what I tell you and we'll work separately."

John was shocked by Sherlock's blunt rudeness. "Um, no." John said. "I'm not going to do whatever you say and we're going to work on this together because that is what we have been assigned to do."

Sherlock's nostrils flared as he glared harder at John. "I don't work with people."

"Yeah I can see why," John snapped.

Sherlock opened his mouth to snap back, but John wasn't having that. "After school today, meet me in the library and we can begin working. I have a full plate, so we need to get this project done ASAP. Plus, it's less time for you to work with me," John rushed to say before Sherlock could protest. Thankfully, the bell rang and John was saved from facing the wrath of Sherlock Holmes. He jumped out of his seat and quickly gathered his things before heading to his next class.  

...

The rest of John's classes were pretty uneventful, leading him to daydream about the opportunities working with Sherlock would bring. When the final bell rang, John rushed to his locker and packed up his things before speed walking to the library on the other end of the school. He wasn't sure if Sherlock would even be there. He might just leave John to do all the work on his own. 

The blond's worries were dashed when he pushed open the heavy door to the almost empty library. The only person occupying the space was the boy in all black hunched over a table in a corner of the room. 

"Hey! I wasn't sure you'd make it," John smiled and walked across the musty carpeting.

Sherlock turned his body to face the approaching boy. "Yes, unfortunately I am here." John's face turned into a scowl at the other boy's words. "Now let's get this over with," Sherlock sighed as he rubbed his face with his large hands, complete with black painted nails. 

"You could lighten up a bit," John scoffed. Sherlock rolled his eyes but remained silent. He just pulled the wooden chair out from the table, sat down, and extended his long legs so his platforms were resting on the table. While Sherlock was being a major ass, John couldn't help but admire his lean figure. Nothing was left to the imagination as John slid his gaze over the too tight black skinny jeans that clung to every curve of Sherlock's legs. The loose fitted black t-shirt he was wearing had a wide scooping neckline that allowed John to see the expanse of Sherlock's pale collar bone and neck. The short sleeves revealed the numerous tattoos covering his arms. John licked his lips and swallowed. 

"You finished yet?" Sherlock smirked. John's face turned bright red and he began to stumble lame excuses about staring off into space. Clearly Sherlock wasn't having it. "So," Sherlock drawled, a seductive edge creeping into his tone. "Who did you want to do the project on?"

John swallowed again and squeaked out an answer, "Emily Dickinson." 

"Hmm, I do like her poems. Alright I'm fine with that," the curly haired boy said in an uncaring tone. John was surprised how easy that was. 

"I was thinking we could split up the easier and harder questions so one doesn't get stuck with the super deep shit while the other just has to answer where she lived."

A smile broke out across Sherlock's features, taking John's breath away. 

"I've never seen you smile," John whispered before he could stop the words from tumbling past his lips. Sherlock's mouth froze before sliding back into his trademark smirk. 

"Well, I normally don't have a reason too. But a cute little thing like yourself might just keep me amused for a while." Those coal lined eyes bore into John's, causing the blond to struggle for words. Sherlock chuckled, stood up, and turned to leave. "I think we're set for now, soon I'll invite you over to my place and we can discuss things in more detail," He said over his shoulder. Just before he left, the punk sent a wink towards a now flustered John who was still sat at the library table. 

It took a few moments, but John finally exited his fantasy land and forced himself to leave the school. This is going to be one hell of a project. 

Hey guys! Sorry it's been awhile, even though I say that every time... I want to write a part 2 to this, sooooo hopefully that'll happen. Uh yeah so let me know how you guys are doing, if you want me to write anything, or just whatever... I'm so tired so I'm not making sense XD